S.A.V.E

prolouge

The sweat dripped off my forehead as I rounded the street corner. My heavy breathing and constant footsteps were drown out by my own thoughts. My heart beat went numb, and I couldn't feel the wind, I couldn't feel myself.

The gunshots echoed throughout the streets as my mind flew back to the battle that felt all to real in this moment.

"SAM! There is no turning back if you take this shot." My captain's words broke through the static in my ear piece. The gun wobbled in my hand as my breathing was staggered. He had betrayed us. All of us. The trust we had was shattered.

His piercing blue eyes locked with my green ones as he stated his case.

"Sam, I know you don't understand it. Just let me-"

"How could you!? After everything you said, and did for me! For the team! You promised! You promised!" Tears blurred my vision as I chocked out my final words.

His knowing eyes told me there was more behind the story, but my mind fought with me to take the shot. To send the bullet through a traitors head.

"Sam, it was protocol. Fury sent in the order, your not working for the SHIELD you think you are. We went over this when you were seventeen at the base, remember? " His steady words drilled through my mind as the ship rocked and I stumbled slightly. I didn't allow myself to remember, I only stayed in this moment.

I readjusted my position as I stared at the man before me. His shield was on the other end of the room, cuts lined his face and his suit. Beeping was heard in the background of the nearly dark room. Loose light's hung from the ceiling as they swayed with the light rock of the ship.