Structure

All stories have a structure. Here are the basic guidelines for having a story. (This does not include Nonfiction.)

exposition
In the exposition of the book, most of the main characters are introduced and the setting is described. But do not make just one whole chapter about the exposition. Make sure it is scattered about in the rising action.

rising action
Rising action is the action that leads up to the climax of the book. Rising action may be the introduction of a plot setting character or a new love interest of a character. Be sure to make the rising action interesting to keep readers entertained.

climax
The climax of the book is the turning point in the story. It may also be the peak of the story. The climax may be life changing to a character or the character will finally have their first kiss. Ah, the love stories.

falling action
Falling action is just as important as the rising action. Falling action are the events that end up leading to the resolution of the story.

resolution (or cliff hanger if there is another book)
The resolution is the ending point or final conclusion of the climax, rising action, and falling action. It may also leave space for another book.

Here are some other things to think about when writing a story.

word choice
I personally judge books on the language used in the story. If the words are not descriptive enough or don't get the point across well I'll stop reading it.

transition words
Use good transition words when going to another subject in your story. Use words such as "and, or, but, so" etc. but know when you have a run-on sentence. Run-on sentences will prevent reads.

style of book
If a book is serious about a subject and does not at least put either some comedy or action then I tend to stop reading books. But that's just in my opinion.

type of book (also genre)
Find a story that would be appealing to a certain set of audience. Not everyone will read your book but that's ok.

Point of View
Point of view depends on how you want to write your story. There is first-person, second-person, third-person, and third-person limited.
-first-person: first person is where you write from one character's view using the words "I" and "me"
-second-person: this one is a lot harder to write in. You are the character and in this point of view you use words such as "you" and "your." Most people avoid this view.
-third-person: In this view, the reader can see and hear the thoughts and ideas of every character. This style is hard to write in if there are a lot of characters
-third-person limited: in this point of view the reader can hear the thoughts of only one person, but still describes the actions of every character. This is the most commonly used point of view.

<><><>

Did I miss something? Want me to touch on something more? Please comment!