I'll Come Back for You

I was sitting on my bed at night, everything was silent. My parents weren't at home, they were in a meeting, as most of the time. I know they love me and I love them but they are centered in their work and don't have much time for me. I have grown by myself, used to be alone at home except for someone who has been with me since I was five years old. He came flying one night to my window and said he would be my friend if I let him in. I wasn't so sure but a friend was all I wanted at that time, anyways I was a lonely little girl. He was a boy with light brown hair and green eyes, always wearing a grin on his face. He was funny and I sympathized easily with him. He played with me and told me stories about a land full of fun and magic, and a group of boys who he called the 'lost boys' playing around and never growing up. It sounded like a perfect place to me. However, he always disappeared when my parents got back home, but I soon learned he always came back when I was alone.

We did all kinds of things and games. He liked to fly all around the house taking me by the hand so I can fly too. He taught me how to fly and even a bit of sword fighting with small wooden swords we made together. He came to my house every time I was alone, which was so often, and some nights when I couldn't sleep. He was my best friend or the only one actually. If you think it, he was the one who raised me, he saw me grow up and taught me everything I know.

He made me promise to never tell anyone about him and that he one day would take me to his home, Neverland, so I can play with the lost boys and with him and never grow up.

One night when I was thirteen I can't sleep, when suddenly, I felt the cold wind from my window. Peter, as he called himself, was standing in my window. "Hi, you can't sleep?" He asked in a soft voice. "Not really," I replied sitting up and rubbing my eyes. "Do you want to do something?" He asked sitting at the end of my bed. "Of course, what are we gonna do tonight?" "What about a fly through the city?" He said, his eyes sparkling with eagerness. "Do you mean going outside? Peter, it's late and dark." "Exactly, no one will see us. And your parents are sleeping, they won't notice you left for a while." I wasn't so sure, but I couldn't help but say yes. "Ok, but if my parents caught me it will be your fault." I teased while grabbing his hand. He chuckled and we flew out the window and through all the city. It was so peaceful and beautiful, surely the best night of my life with my favorite person no less.

When we got back home the sun was already rising. Peter wrapped me in a hug and I noticed he began to sob. He told me in a cracking voice, "Never forget me, keep believing in Neverland and... don't forget our promise. Ok?" "Always, but why are you telling me that?" I said confused as he get out of the window quickly. "I'll come back for you. I love you." And with that last words he left and never returned 4 years ago.

I still think of him every night, and stare out of my window waiting for him to come. I never understood why he left me, and I was afraid I did something wrong. But I haven't lose hope that he will return someday as he promised.

So I was there laying in my bed with my eyes closed thinking about that last night I saw my dear Peter, I felt the wind rushing through my hair and felt his presence. Then I opened my eyes and realized there was someone by my side. I stood quickly to see who he was. He smiled immediately and hugged me as realization hit me. "Peter!" I said hugging him back. "Hello (y/n)," he said burying his face in my shoulder, (since I had grown through these years and now we had almost the same measure). "I missed you so badly." I began to feel the tears streaming down my face. "Me too, but I now came back my little girl." I smiled at him, I had always loved his nickname for me.

"I'm so happy you did, but... why did you left me?... Did I--I did something wrong?"

"What? No, of course not, you are the perfect one." He said stroking the hair out of my face. "Perfect one? For what?" I raised an eyebrow not understanding what he meant.

"You see (y/n), children easily believe in everything you tell them, but when they grow up most of them stop believing in fairytales and forget that childish faith in things they now think are just tales." He took my hands and continued joyfully, "But you, you never stopped believing... I'm sorry I left you, but I had to let you decide if you will believe even when you couldn't see me. All these years I saw you, I always was by your side, just I didn't let you see me. It hurt not been able to talk or play with you, but now I know more than ever you'll believe forever in me." His eyes sparkled with excitement. "I'm here to fulfill my promise, will you want to go to Neverland with me?" "Nothing will make me happier!" I said excited seeing my dream coming true.

He extended his hand for me to take. "You're ready?" I nodded taking his hand gladly. "More than ever!" "Then, let's go, my little girl." He said jumping out of the window with me by his side this time. "Second star to the right..." he looked at me waiting to continue the phrase, as I answered, "and straight on 'till morning!" We both smiled as we flew away to the land of my dreams.