I speed as I drive down the long country roads, loving the feel of the autumn wind blowing in through the open windows. A smile makes its way onto my face as I appreciate the lovely day.

I make it to the diner in no time, cutting my joy ride shorter than I would have liked. I shut the engine off and climb out of my car, spotting Jackson's familiar car parked in the small parking lot. Besides them there were only two other cars, which I'm assuming are the workers' cars.

I et my backpack out and leisurely make my way into the diner and walk to where the three spawns of satan are sitting. "Okay, where do you want to get started?" I asked, sliding into the seat at the booth next to Austin.

"Where we left off." he says, taking his book out and flipping open to the marked page. I do the same and begin reading the boring text as Austin and Caden joke around, obviously bored with the lack of words coming from me or Jackson.

About ten minutes later a lady who looks to be in her late 50's walk up to our table, a pleasant smile on her face.

"Hello, what can I get for you guys today?" she asks, looking at the bunch of us before looking straight at  me and sending me a wink. "Just my usual please Rosie." I say, sending her a bright smile and a small laugh.

"Of course sweetie, and for the gentlemen?" All three of their gazes are locked onto the menus in front of them now, scanning the pages for something to eat. Jackson's the first one to speak up, "I'll just have whatever she ordered." he said, giving Rosie a nice smile.

"Me too please." Caden says, handing her back the menu. "And for you young man?" Rosie questions, lifting her gaze from her notepad. "I'll just have whatever she got too please." he says, sending her a toothy smile as he hands his menu over.

"Okay, well that won't take very long so it should be out pretty quick." she says. "Okay thank you Rosie." I say, sending her yet another smile. "No problem darling anytime." she replies, walking off towards the kitchen area.

"You know her?" Jackson says, his eyes fixed on me. "Yeah I used to come here a lot." I say, a small smile on my face. "Well, why did you stop?" he says, confusion coating his features. "Stuff happened." I say, shrugging my shoulders and looking back to my textbook to drop the subject.

Luckily, he goes with it and continues reading himself as the boys start up their odd conversation about mangos again. I don't even want to know the full extent of their conversation.

Just as she promised, our orders came out not even six minutes later. I gave her a huge smile as she put down my treat in front of me. It was a big banana split topped with all the classics. "Thank you so much!" I say, the smile still on my face.

"It's no problem kiddo. It felt good to make one, or four, after such a while." she says, a genuine smile lighting up her face. I give her an apologetic smile and stand up, engulfing her small frame in a big hug.

"I know, I'm really sorry Rosie. It's been a little hectic lately." I say, pulling back to look at her. "It's perfectly okay sweetie, I know how life can get." she responds, squeezing both my arms reassuringly. "I promise I'll be back really soon." I tell her, meaning every word I say.

"Oh I know you will." She says, as she lets go of my arms and sends me a warm smile before walking back to the kitchen. Halfway there, she stops and turns around, "By the way, your treats are on the house." she says. "No, Rosie it's fine, I can pay for them." I assure her, not wanting to jip her of her money.

"Nonsense." she retorts, sending me her, I-mean-it, look. I already know I'm not going to win this argument. "Fine," I say with a sigh, "but expect a tip." I tell her sending her my own wink. "You are one stubborn child." she says with a laugh before walking into the kitchen.