Chapter [12]

"HAZEL JUST CALLED," DR. CLAY said, trying his best to stay as calm as possible. "She said there's a storm on the way."

A collective gasp swept through the Clearwater Marine Aquarium employees. Some, knowing exactly what a storm could do to CMA having been there the last time one had occurred, were looking apprehensive―scared, even. Others were looking confused, wondering what sort of damage a storm could cause.

"She didn't say how long it'll be until it gets here, but she knows that it's the worst summer storm we're going to have since the North American derecho in the June of 2012. She wanted to let us know as early as possible so that we could have as much time to prepare for it."

By now, the extent of destruction that the oncoming summer storm could bring was beginning to sink into everyone's minds, and looks of confusion became expressions of apprehension and fear. The ones who had been at CMA when a natural disaster had hit knew that this storm could potentially do more damage than any of them could ever imagine, and that severely unnerved them.

"Are Hazel and Sawyer coming back, then?" one of the employees asked, trying to keep his expression neutral, to no avail; Dr. Clay could see the alarm and horror within his wide eyes.

Dr. Clay sighed, shaking his head. "No. I told them to stay in Vancouver; they're safer there than they are here at CMA. We're going to be doing this without them."

"So what do you want us to do?" the same employee asked, his eyes still wide with terror. The expression on his face―torn between neutral and horrified―made it look like he was suppressing the urge to run away screaming.

"I want you all to carry about your business as normal today. However, if you're working with things that are likely to blow away, please make sure you store them inside the main building. And tie down anything that is likely to flap in the wind. Make sure the animals are well taken care of today, and that all of their needs are seen to. If you're not sure about anything, ask either me or Phoebe, okay? Once we close today, I want all of you to go home . . . and I don't want any of you to come back until this storm has passed―"

"But how are you going to take care of all the animals?"

Dr. Clay stared at the employee. "Phoebe and Kat have agreed to stay with me for the next few days, and my father will, too. We'll take care of the animals."

"What if we agree to stay and help you? What if we want to stay?"

It was a different employee who spoke this time. Dr. Clay frowned, trying to remember his name.

"Listen, Orion. As much as I appreciate your offer, I can't take you up on it. Phoebe and Kat know what they're getting into, but I'm afraid you don't. It's simply too dangerous for me to let you stay here. And I'm sure your parents wouldn't approve, either. But, thank you." He smiled at the employee who had bravely offered his service, before turning his attention back onto everyone else. "Does anyone have any questions before I let you begin your tasks?"

After a general murmuring of "No", Dr. Clay nodded again. "Very well. You may all go, except Phoebe and Kat; I need to talk to you two."

The crowd dispersed, leaving only Phoebe and Kat standing in front of him. They walked forward, serious expressions painted on their faces.

"I'd like to the tests on Bondi now, if possible. I don't think it would be safe to wait any longer."

"What are the tests for?" Kat asked, frowning. "He seems fine to me . . . "

Dr. Clay turned to Phoebe, frowning. "You didn't tell her?"

Phoebe shook her head, glancing down at the ground. "No, Dr. Clay. I'm really sorry. It completely slipped out of my mind."

"It's all right, Phoebe. We all have those moments." Dr. Clay sighed. "These tests are just to see how he's doing. It's not serious or urgent, but I thought that, given the current circumstances, it would be safer to do it now rather than later. The results will be back from the lab in one-to-two days."

"Oh. Well, in that case, then yes, now would be the best time to do the tests," Kat said, nodding. "Shall Phoebe and I go grab the equipment and meet you by the pool?"

Dr. Clay inclined his head. "Yes. I'm going to go and separate Nicholas and Bondi. I'll meet you at their pool in a few minutes, okay?"

Phoebe looked at Kat, who nodded. "Okay."

* * *

"A red-alert, severe weather warning has been issued to those residing along the east coast of the United States, stretching from Maine in the north, to Florida down south. It is expected to cause destruction to those further inland, but those along the east coast will be the hardest hit. The storm will bring a strong, south-westerly air-stream in its wake. Damaging winds averaging 80 kilometers per hour, with peak gusts at around 150 kilometers per hour, as well as large swells and heavy rainfall are forecast for those along the east coast. Please stay tuned as an evacuation alert may be issued within the next half-hour . . . "

By the afternoon, what were originally gentle gusts of wind had strengthened ten-fold. From inside the main building at Clearwater Marine Aquarium, which was where Dr. Clay, Reed, Phoebe, and Kat were gathered, the wind howled like ten-thousand wolves trying to find a way into the building.

"Do you think they're going to issue an evacuation alert?" Kat whispered, her voice echoing eerily around the room.

Reed nodded. "With the storm progressing at this rate, I'd say so, yes. It'll be too dangerous to stay here any longer."

"But the animals . . . " Phoebe began.

"There's nothing we can do," Dr. Clay said dejectedly. "We've done all we can, so all we can now do is wait for their evacuation alert."

And, sure enough, there was an evacuation alert.

"Warning! An evacuation alert has been issued by the City of Clearwater at the Emergency Coordination Center. Because of the imminent danger to life and health, the City of Clearwater has issued an evacuation alert for the entire city. If you need transportation assistance to an emergency reception center from your area, please call the number located at the bottom of the screen. Further information will be issued at 5 PM at the emergency reception center. Warning! An evacuation alert has been issued by the City of Clearwater . . . "