Chapter [7]

C h a p t e r   S e v e n

THE CAR RIDE TO TAMPA International Airport was an awkward, quiet one; nobody knew when they'd be seeing each other again. After Hazel and Sawyer had broken their news, everyone had expressed their delight and support towards their trip, but deep inside, no matter how many layers of happiness and joy they tried to disguise it under, the sadness and hesitation was still an ominous presence. No matter how deep they tried to bury, how hard they tried to conceal it, it was always there—omnipresent. Like a shadow that was always there, even when the dark attempted to conceal it.

Saying their goodbyes had been extremely difficult; Hazel and Sawyer both couldn't bear to be separated from Winter, Hope, Nicholas, and Bondi. Bondi, being the youngest, hadn't known that they were saying goodbye, and had splashed Hazel playfully, dousing her in cold water just before they were due to leave. This had resulted in a frustrated Hazel who had had to change into a dry outfit at the very last minute. Normally, she wouldn't have minded, but Hazel, not wanted to attract any extra attention, couldn't - and wouldn't - get onto a plane soaking wet. Sawyer, and everyone else who had been there to witness it, laughed and praised Bondi

The silence of the car ride was only broken when Lorraine Nelson announced, somewhat stiffly, that they had arrived. Sawyer glanced at Hazel and squeezed her hand reassuringly. This was it. This was the beginning of an adventure. And so far, everything had gone to plan; no media had caught wind of their flight from Florida, and everyone hoped that it would remain that way.

As the car pulled up against the main entrance, everyone climbed out, and Hazel and Sawyer's bags - two suitcases and two carry-ons - were unloaded. There was an atmosphere of mixed emotions as Hazel, Sawyer, Phoebe, Dr. Clay, Lorraine, and Kyle walked through the entrance and towards the check-in counters.

The tickets had been bought online the day before, courtesy of Lorraine who claimed, amidst protests and arguing, that it was time for her to do something for them, to contribute something to both Hazel and Sawyer to give them a chance to take all the opportunities that were given to them. If that meant that she had to buy them last-minute plane tickets to Vancouver, she would. And that's what she did. Passports had been dug out, and suitcases had been hectically packed the night before; they wanted to make sure that they didn't leave anything behind. This morning had been a time to tidy up the mess caused by last night's frantic packing, as well as a time to say goodbye to those who, sadly, weren't able to see them off at the airport. Nobody knew when they'd ever see Hazel and Sawyer again, as they hadn't set a particular date of return - if they were returning - thus making it even more difficult, even more upsetting, and even more gut-wrenching to say goodbye to them.

All too soon, the check-in process was over, and it was time to move through to Immigration. And that meant saying goodbye, as only those who were travelling were allowed into Immigration.

"Well . . . this is it, isn't it?" Dr. Clay asked, breaking the silence that had fallen over the group once the check-in process was over. 

Sawyer sighed heavily. "Yeah," he said slowly, unable to think of anything else to say. "I guess it is."

Hazel swallowed uncomfortably, aware of the daunting task ahead, the daunting task of saying goodbye. She had never been away from her father before for more than a day, and so the prospect of spending endless days without him made her nervous. What if something went wrong? What if she missed him so much to the point that she'd have to ruin their trip and return home? Sure, Sawyer was coming along, and Hazel loved him to bits, but it wasn't the same kind of bond she shared with her father.

"This is goodbye," Phoebe said sombrely, biting her lip. "Well, I guess I should say be careful, stay safe, and . . . enjoy yourselves because you deserve it. You really do." She smiled, sincerity etched on her face and within her eyes.

Kyle clapped Sawyer's shoulder in a brotherly fashion and nodded towards Hazel. "You keep her safe, okay? Protect her to within an inch of your life, because she's worth dying for." When Hazel opened her mouth to protest, Kyle shot her a meaningful look, a glimmer of humor dancing within the flame in his eyes. "And the same goes to you, Hazel. Look after Sawyer; just like you, he's worth dying for. You both are. Got that?"

Sawyer opened his mouth to argue but decided against it; Kyle was a debater at heart and could slam down and demolish the opposition's case to smithereens within mere seconds. Instead, he nodded dutifully, biting back the argument that had once resided on his tongue. "Of course, Kyle. I vowed to do this the day we were lawfully declared a couple, and even before that. I will not break that vow, rest assured."

"And I stand by my vow too, Kyle. I will not break it either," Hazel said, grim determination clearly written on her face.

Kyle nodded his approval. "I knew you wouldn't break your vows, and I know that you'll look after each other. Stay safe and be vigilant, yeah? Who knows what could be lurking within the shadows of Vancouver. But, as Phoebe said, have fun—that's the most important thing of all, okay? Enjoy yourselves, because you won't always get a chance to do so.

"I agree with everything that has been said so far," Lorraine said, smiling slightly. "You both deserve this opportunity to explore whatever Vancouver has to offer you; you've both worked so hard and it's time for you to have some well-earned time for yourselves. Enjoy the time you have together, and if you ever need us, we're just one phone call away. And don't trust everything people say—always take things with a pinch of salt."

"Let the breeze carry you, let the currents sweep you to your destiny," Dr. Clay interjected. "Get ready for one hell of a ride; there are going to ups and downs and upside-downs, but if you play it right, you'll be in for a ride that mostly goes upwards. Enjoy the ride while it lasts, and when it ends, dismount with caution and take away the memories you made and lock them in your mind. That won't be the last ride you'll ever have, and it may not be the best. There'll be more to come in the future, but my advice is to simply enjoy it while you can. That, added to everything else that has already been said, is the most valuable advice that we can give you."

Hazel and Sawyer shared a glance before turning to face everyone else.

"Thank you," said Hazel, turning to face each person in turn. "Your advice is greatly appreciated, as is your support. I don't know what we'd do without all of you. You have our gratitude and thanks."

Sawyer nodded. "You guys are the best. As Hazel said, I honestly have no idea what we'd do without you; you're all lifesavers—literally—and we're eternally grateful for each and every one of you. You mean everything to us, and just remember that if you ever need us to return, we're only a phone call away. Just let us know and we'll be back before you can say 'Clearwater Marine Aquarium'. You're always there for us, and we'll always been there for you. Thanks for everything you've ever done for us, whether it was offering the best advice, supporting our relationship . . . whatever it was, thank you. And with that, I bid you all farewell."

"We don't know when we'll be back," Hazel added, "but maybe the future has something in stall for us . . . something unexpected that will make us reunite sooner than expected. But whatever happens, we're only a phone call away, and if need be, we'll be back before you know it. Until then, though . . . goodbye."