Chapter [1]

C h a p t e r O n e

JUNE 28th HAD ALWAYS BEEN a relatively quiet day, always passing by with little or no fuss.

But not today.

Multicolored balloons and streamers were strung up around the main dolphin pool, adding bursts of color in an otherwise somewhat bland setting, twisting and weaving around poles, fences, and beams. It was as though several artists had expertly splashed bright colors onto a blank canvas, creating a light, cheerful, bright atmosphere. Clearwater Marine Aquarium didn't have an artist, but they did have Sawyer, who had, yet again, outdone himself with the decorations.

The occasion? Hazel's 21st birthday.

It wasn't everyday that you turned 21, and as Hazel's past birthdays had gone by relatively quietly, Sawyer had decided to throw her a party. She had no idea, of course; the decorations had gone up the second she had gone home, and the caterers and DJ had arrived early in the morning to set up.

Sawyer glanced down at his watch-Hazel had bought it for him as an early birthday gift just days after their engagement. It glinted in the weak morning sunlight, and Sawyer blinked as the light momentarily reflected into his eyes, blinding him.

It was approximately six o'clock, and Clearwater Marine Aquarium was already busy. The staff members had arrived earlier to carry out their tasks and duties, guests to the party were beginning to arrive in dribs and drabs, and the caterers were carefully placing trays of delicious-looking food-cookies, pies, cupcakes, just to name a few-as well as drinks on the cloth-draped tables.

Hazel-the birthday girl-was due to arrive in half-an-hour; Sawyer had requested that Dr. Clay delay her for as long as possible. But Hazel didn't like being delayed, which made her father's job a lot harder. In the end, he decided to do something he had never done before-get out the photo album which held photos of Hazel's mother when she was younger. Hazel had never seen those photos; she had only ever known the mother she had grown up with.

"You remind me of your mother, Hazel," Dr. Clay said reminiscently, watching as she flicked through the photo album. "You're a lot like her, you know, and sometimes I truly think that she lives on in you."

Hazel smiled sadly, pausing to glance up at her father. She opened her mouth to speak but no words made their mark on the world; she was too emotional to say anything. Hazel glanced back down at the photographs, letting the tears that rolled down her face speak for her.

The silence that ensued, broken only by the sounds of pages turning, gave Dr. Clay an opportunity to reflect on his past. He thought back to his wife's last days and remembered her smile. It was always there, even when she was experiencing pain that would have caused him to crumble to pieces. She had stayed so strong even when hope was dwindling . . . just like Hazel.

Dr. Clay smiled as he watched his daughter flick to the last page in the photo album. It was a family portrait: Hazel was sitting on her mother's lap and he was standing beside them; as a proud father. Hazel was around three at the time of the photoshoot, an innocent smile permantly etched onto her young face, curious brown eyes gazing at the photographer.

"Like mother, like daughter," Dr. Clay said softly.

Hazel glanced up at her father, bewildered.

The way her eyes glimmered triggered something within Dr. Clay-a powerful emotion.

"The way you smile, it's so similar to her's. Your eyes, your personality . . . your inevitable strength."

Hazel's eyes glistened, a sheen of tears threatening to spill over. She swallowed hard, trying to keep her emotions under control.

"She would be proud of who you are, Hazel. She'd be so proud of who you've become," Dr. Clay whispered, placing a gentle hand on her shoulder. "I know that she'd be so proud."

Overcome by a tidal wave of emotions, Hazel buried her face into her father's shoulder, tears streaming down faster than the rain on a stormy day.

"Happy 21st Birthday, Hazel," Dr. Clay whispered, pulling her in tightly. "May you continue to live life to the fullest. May you continue to treasure each and every moment of your precious life. May you be happy for evermore, for that is what you deserve."

Hazel, too choked up to say much more, uttered a soft, incoherent, "Thank you, Dad," before breaking down again.

* * *

"Where is everyone?" Hazel asked the second she arrived at Clearwater Marine Aquarium, her father right beside her.

After several emotional minutes, Dr. Clay had announced that it was time to get to work as they had a busy day ahead.

Dr. Clay shrugged, feigning cluelessness. "No idea . . . "

Hazel climbed the stairs slowly. Everything seemed normal, except for the fact that there was nobod-

"Surprise!"

Hazel gasped. People were grouped at tables and clustered around the pools, surrounded by colorful streamers and balloons.

"Happy 21st Birthday, Hazel!"

Hazel scanned the crowd and locked eyes with the one person who made her heart take flight like a butterfly that had just emerged from it's chrysalis.

"Sawyer."

They continued staring at each other; two people frozen in time.

Hazel felt herself being drawn towards Sawyer-like a fish attracted to the bait-and began walking towards him. He was like the centre of gravity, tugging her in. He was like a fisherman reeling in his catch: Hazel.

Sawyer was the fisherman pulling Hazel-the fish-in. Pulling her in closely for a tight hug.

"Have you been crying?" he asked tenderly, brushing a thin tendril of hair from her face.

Hazel's eyes began to glisten, the unshed tears surfacing as she recalled the emotional morning she had shared with her father. She opened her mouth but Sawyer silenced her by placing his finger against her lips.

And then he pulled her closer, murmuring, "Happy 21st, Hazel," before he locked his lips to hers.