First Day of High School

Lucas' POV:

Howdy, folks. My story started out  simple, I was on my way to my first period class, and let me just say that things weren't exactly the same like in middle school.

"Hi, Riley," I said and sit right next to her in our English class.

She nodded with that blank face of hers, just being her ordinary and awkward self, the way I liked her to be, it's too bad she only see me as her brother, but I care for Maya too, I love both of them, we're all friends anyway, that's the part that will never going to change.

After English, she quickly ran out of the door and headed to her next class while I just stood there, holding the strap of my bag, I was pretty confused, then Maya appeared suddenly.

"Hey, there, huckleberry,"

"Howdy,"

"lets go to math class"

"sure thing, miss" I said with a smile.

"What did you call me, huckleberry"

"Uh, sorry Maya"

We walked together, holding hands.

Riley's POV:

I was behind my locker, hiding from Maya and Lucas, as I saw them two holding hands when I walked together in class, it hurts me, I know that I shouldn't care, but it hurts. I lean on the lockers from my back and slide down the floor with my arms hugging my legs, then the bell rang, but I just sat there on my locker, thinking what should have been.
"Hey, Riley, what's wrong?" Farkle asked when he saw me sitting on the ground and at next to me.
But I didn't respond and just mop their on the ground.
When I finally got in my class, I was surprised you see my dad as my English teacher.
"Dad? What are you doing here?"
"Riley, I'm your new History teacher"
"But you're a middle school teacher" I said, refusing to believe the truth.
"I requested a transfer, so I could teach you something g new." He paused. "Now, please take a seat"
They laughed and I was surprised to know that Maya and Lucas wasn't my classmates in my own dad's class, but Farkle is my classmate, who sat next to me in front of the classroom.
"Farkle, you're late"
"Mr. Mathews."
"Okay, class..."
I wasn't paying attention, I kept looking at a picture of my friends while I was covering it with a paper so they wouldn't notice that I'm moping around, but Farkle did.
I'm not the same person I was back in middle school. That precious experience I had changed my life and I sighs.
On my way out of class, Farkle caught up with me and said "Riley, wait up, can we talk?"
"Sure thing, Farkle, whatever is it about?" I asked with a binder in my arms.
"About you. Maya. And Lucas."
"Farkle, I said drop it, nothing will ever happen between me and Lucas. Not anymore."
"Is that why you're avoiding both Maya and Lucas? Or is it because of Maya?"
"Farkle."
"You can't avoid this problem forever, Riley. They will know the truth sooner or later"
"why?" I asked. "Are you gonna tell them?"
"No. But you will, soon."
He walked away, leaving me confused by the hallway, until Charlie showed up behind me.
"Hey Riley"
"Charlie. What's up?"
"Riley, would you reconsider the date offer I asked you last night?"
"Uh, sure thing, Charlie. I will go out with you"
"Tonight then?"
"Schoolwork."
"Tomorrow?" He asked.
"Club meeting"
How about Friday?"
"Uh," I said, thinking. "Friday's perfect."
"Alright, cool. Uh, where do you wanna go?"
"Surprise me." I said, walking away with a smile, like his.

It's hard. But I have to avoid Maya and Lucas for the entire day, until I accidentally bump into them after school with my dad.
"Riley." Lucas said.
"Lucas." I said.
"Mathews." Maya said with a smirk.
"Maya." My dad said.
It was awkward. We were just staring at each other with silence.
"You know what, we don't have to make this as weird and awkward as it already is."
"Riley's right. You four are still friends and that's all that matters right now."
"It's nice seeing you again, Riley."
"We saw each other at the mall, Lucas, remember?"
"Well, yeah, but that was weeks ago."
"Yeah, anyway, Lucas and I have to go" Maya said. "Later, Mathews."
They walked away and I deeply sigh as my dad tried to comfort me.
"Riley, are you okay?"
"I'm fine" I said with a fake smile. "Can we just go, please?"
I walked away and headed straight to daddy's car.
I looked out the window with a frown and wishing that everything is going to be okay in the end.