Chapter 3 ~ Save Me

Start from the beginning

“I’m Dyl- oh, you already know that,” I said, shrugging.

“Everyone in Meadow Valley knows your name, Dylan. It’s a small town, word gets around, you know?”

“Guess it does.”

She opened her mouth to say more, but was cut off by another person. “Missssss Lillian! Did you think that I wouldn’t notice that you skipped detention?” the seventy year old teacher hissed at her.

Emma stared wide-eyed at the scary looking teacher. “I-I was on my way, Ms. Boggle,” she stammered, looking at me in hopes of help.

‘Sorry,’ I mouthed the word to her, stifling a laugh.

“Now get to detention before I give you a month’s worth of detentions!” the scary Ms. Boggle shouted.

“Nice meeting you, Dylan. Here’s her number,” Emma said, handing me a purple sticky note.

Her number?” I said, confused.

“Yes, there’s my best friend’s phone number. I strongly suggest that you call it because you guys would be the cutest couple!” she beamed.

I glanced at the number with curiosity. “What’s her name?”

“Emma Lillian! You officially have detention again tomorrow!” Ms. Boggle said loudly, glaring at her & then at me.

Emma smirked at me. “Don’t worry, she’s perfect for you,” she said & quickly ran to detention. Thankfully, Ms. Boggle followed her, leaving me alone with the mysterious phone number.

I stared at the neatly written numbers. Should I throw it away or keep it? Quickly, I stuffed the sticky note in my jacket pocket & made my way outside.

It was raining like crazy. I was also surprised to see that it was dark outside, the full moon shining away. Sprinting, I decided to take a shortcut home. At least I hoped it was a shortcut. It was a gravel path that was close to a lake. From what I could tell, the path would lead me close to my house. Lucas would be wondering where I was, so I had to get home as soon as possible.

The rain seemed to come down harder as I sprinted. Raindrops hit my eyelashes as I shivered from the cold wind. I wondered how much more rain I would see in this town compared to the last town I’d lived in.

Suddenly, all I could hear was screaming, jerking me out of my thoughts of a lost home. A couple loud high-pitched screams came from two different directions. One of the screams sounded closer to me, so I ran towards the sound. I didn’t know why I was running toward one of the screams, I didn’t know what I would do or what I would find. Maybe it was curiosity or maybe just a bad feeling that something was wrong. Everything was silent again & I had no idea what was happening.

I stopped running as soon as I could hear splashes coming from the lake. Squinting because of the raindrops in my eyes, I gasped as I realized that someone was in the lake. Someone was in the lake & sinking! Before I could think another thought, I threw my backpack & jacket to the graveled ground & dove in the water.

Bliss’s P.O.V.

A quiet voice hummed around me. I couldn’t understand the voice, I only knew that it was deep & it somehow comforted me. Maybe the voice was just my alarm clock telling me it was time to wake up for school. Or maybe I was still in dream world.

With each passing second the voice became a little clearer. It didn’t take long for me to recognize the panic in the deep lulling voice. It wasn’t so comforting anymore & I felt like I was waking up from a dream. Well, if it were a dream, it would be the strangest dream I’ve had. There was only that voice, no images of any kind. I’d never had a dream quite like that.