III - Everyone Hates Kaeru, Right?

Start from the beginning

He raised his hands, holding the object just a few inches from his chest. As he brought it down, my eyes widen in recognition, and I jumped onto him. I grabbed his wrist tightly, and the knife fell onto the floor with a loud thud.

"What the hell do you think you are doing?!" I exclaimed, glaring at him, pinning him down. He gritted his teeth, as he tried to reach the knife beside him. His gaze kept moving, from my eyes to the tip of his fingers that almost touched the blade's hilt.

"Anko is scared of Kaeru! Obito is not here, and Aniki hates Kaeru! Daddy killed himself, and Mommy is dead! Kaeru is a very bad boy, Kaeru kills people! No one loves Kaeru! Why should Kaeru even live?!" He screamed.

My breath hitched. Is he trying to commit suicide?

I studied his expression. Then notice it. He's not insane. He's just broken. When I look closer, his eyes shows more than just the blood lust, more than just the sadistic gaze. His dark orbs held confusion, sadness, and loneliness. I was so drowned in those eyes, that I failed to realize his actions.

The next thing that happened, my instinct took over. My hand quickly reached my weapon pouch, and took out a kunai, blocking the kitchen knife Kaeru was about to use to stab his own heart.

No One

"Kaeru... Please, don't. I can't lose my little brother again. You're back already. Don't leave, please." Anko begged desperately.

"Kaeru doesn't want to stay!" Kaeru yelled at her, as tears began to fall from his eyes, "Kaeru always suffers! Kaeru never felt happy! Kaeru hates this world! Kaeru wants to die!"

"Kaeru, you have a brother. You have me. You can't just-..."

"NO ONE CARES! No one cares about Kaeru! Mommy's gone, Daddy's dead, Aniki left! Kaeru's alone! Always alone! No one cares! Everyone's afraid of Kaeru! No one will miss Kaeru!"

Anko's eyes widen at the 2 last sentences. She released him from her grip, as she sat on the floor, and covered her mouth with her hand, trying to hold back her sobs.

"... I will..." Anko whispered, looking down, "I will miss you."

Kaeru turned away. He closed his eyes, gritting his teeth.

"I'm sorry about earlier. I'm not scared of you, Kaeru, I left because I just can't hear how those things happened to you."

"Because you made me who I am today, Kaeru. You were the one person who always pushed me to be me!" Anko said quietly. "Thinking all that time that you were dead, and that I would never see you again, was the hardest time of my life." She said weakly, catching eyes with Kaeru. Kaeru could see the sadness is in Anko's eyes.

"I know it sucks when it feels like no one cares about you. I know it sucks when you feel like your life is crumbling down and nothing can fix it. But Kaeru, I'm here. I'm not going to leave again, I love you, Kaeru." She said.

And it was like he was like an animal. He crawled across the floor, whimpering quietly, laying his head in Anko's lap. Her hands rested on his silver hair, and she ran her fingers through the matted messy hair and soothing noises passed his lips. 

"A-Anko-chan... Why does Aniki hate Kaeru so much..." He whispered, his voice cracking as if his heart shattered as the words passed his lips. Anko thought about it for a few minutes, but she couldn't come up with an answer.

And by the time that Anko went to reply that she didn't know, Kaeru was fast asleep in her arms.

| × | × | × | × | × |