Chapter One final

"Do you see anyone familiar?" Ethan leaned against the wall.

"No." She sighed. "This is harder than it looks. There are a lot of people here."

"Just take your time." Roy stroked her hair.

He watched her start to flip the page. Her hand froze in midair. Did she see someone? Was it the guy they were looking for?

"What is it?" Roy looked at the photos.

She chewed her lip, thinking. Maybe it was nothing. Then again, it was the first time she had frozen like that. Roy looked across the table at Diana. She was looking at Mykinze too.

"Is the person who did this there?" Ethan stood behind her.

"It's him." She pointed to a photo.

Roy swallowed hard. It was David Quinn. This was his worst nightmare come true.

"You're sure?" Diana grabbed her hand.

"Yes." She frowned. "His hair's a little longer now, but it's him."

What now? Quinn wouldn't make this easy. He liked to play games. Ones where people lost their lives. 

"I can't look at him anymore." Mykinze slammed the book shut.

He didn't blame her. She probably never wanted to see him again.

""Let's go watch tv." Diana came over to her.

"I don't want to." Mykinze chewed her lip again. "Can I go lay down?"

"Sure." Diana put her arm around her. "Anything you want."

"Thanks Ethan." Roy stood up.

"No problem." He gathered up the books of mug shots. "Sorry it turned out to be Quinn."

"Me too." He went through the house. "Let me know if you need anything."

"I will." Ethan went out the door. "Just take care of her. We'll get looking for Quinn."

He had no doubt they would. He just hoped they found him sooner than later.

Roy stepped out onto the porch, closing the door behind him. They had been watching David Quinn for months now. He had been selling drugs to teenagers. Yet, he always seemed to get out of trouble. The teenagers he recruited to help him always took the blame.

They had even told the police they didn't know Quinn. He was good at slipping through their fingers.

Why would he go from drugs to attacking someone, especially the daughter of a cop? Did he really need to have a reason for that? Quinn did as he pleased. He didn't care who he hurt in the process.

He was the type of person who would kill his own parents if he had to. He was dangerous in every sense of the word.

Mykinze had been terrified. She made sure Diana stayed with her at all times. She didn't want to be alone. Not that he blamed her.

Why would Quinn attack her? Was it because he thought they were close to catching him? He couldn't be more wrong. They were no closer to locking him up than they were six months ago.

Roy crossed his arms over his chest. He had to keep this madman away from his little girl. He needed to be out looking for him, but his daughter needed him. he couldn't just take off.

Sitting on the porch swing, he watched his wife come out the door. Why wasn't she with Mykinze?

"Something wrong?" He put his arm around her. "Where's Mykinze?"

"Asleep." Diana leaned against him. "Why would he hurt her like that?"

"I wish I knew." Roy chewed his lip. "I don't have any clue how he even got our address."

These days anyone could find anybody they wanted. You had to love the internet.

"Do you think he'll be back?" She looked at him.

"I hope not." He frowned.

"We have to keep her safe, Roy." Diana sighed. "She's been through enough."

He couldn't agree more. He didn't want anything to happen to her. He would protect her no matter what happened to him. His family was more important than anything. They were his world.

Mykinze was a daddy's girl through and through. She was close to both her parents. She always had to be helping her mother with cooking and housework. She always wanted to help him fix things around the house. Both her and her brother loved playing basketball with him. A typical thirteen year-year-old, she loved listening to pop music and reading.

His thoughts went to his son. Joey was like any other eleven-year-old. He spent most of his time playing video games or riding his bike. He also liked to watch anime. His room was filled with manga and anime posters. 

"Have you talked to Joey?" He stood up.

"He was getting ready for bed.." Diana followed him inside. "Kasi said he's fine."

Roy had no doubt he was. His little sister would never let anyone hurt her nephew.

"Maybe we should get to bed too?" He locked the door.

"Mom, Daddy?"

He looked over at his daughter. What was she doing up already? Dumb question. How could she sleep after the day she'd had?

"What's wrong baby?" Diana  put her arm around her.

"I had a bad dream." Mykinze scratched her cheek. "Mom, can you stay with me until I get back to sleep?"

"Sure." She kissed her forehead.

"Good night, Daddy." Mykinze hugged him. "I love you."

"I love you too." Roy kissed the top of her head. "Get some sleep."

Roy watched them go down the hall. It was going to be a very long night. Tomorrow he would find this guy and put him in prison where he belonged.

He went into the kitchen. He hated that Quinn had intruded on his child's happiness. He had shattered any trust she had of staying by herself.

He looked out the window. The kids loved playing in the backyard. The tire swing had been there for a couple years now. He had built the treehouse for them when Joey was five. He had lost count of the nights they had fallen asleep there.

Now Mykinze wouldn't go near it. She couldn't leave the house. The fear she felt was crippling. He wanted to wring Quinn's neck for that.

Right now he should try to get some sleep. He was sure Mykinze wouldn't be sleeping. Still, he needed to stay rested in case Quinn came back.

Flipping the light off, Roy went to his room. He knew Mykinze would be okay as long as Diana was with her. Wouldn't she?