CHAPTER ONE

One of Anora's fondest memories started with a kitchen fire. The scene itself was all too familiar, her father left unsupervised in the kitchen, losing his wand at some point, resulting in flames and plenty of smoke. At the time, it had meant another breakfast burnt, while in hindsight, it had been the exciting start of a new adventure.

Making her way downstairs, Anora waved one hand in front of her face as the smoke remained thick in the air. Following by her side, Iggy, who had once been extremely apprehensive about entering a room with smoke, whether it be due to animal instinct or just good old common sense, had become so used to the morning routine within the Forney household that he didn't bat an eye as they approached the kitchen.

Upon entering, Anora's father Gerald wore a panicked expression as he nearly turned in circles. At one point, he caught sight of his daughter and her cat, staring at him from the threshold of the kitchen doorway and forced a smile to his lips. It was then that the two would witness the front of his clothing had been burnt at some point, leaving them slightly singed and charred.

"Morning, sweetheart!" he called out to her. "You stay right there until I find my wand, no need to worry-"

Anora could practically recite her father's typical warning that he had things under control. With a small grin, she entered the kitchen against his wishes, walking over to where her father was standing and turning him around.

"Anora, I told you to stay out of the kitchen wh- "Gerald's scolding came to a sudden end as Anora had quickly pulled his "missing" wand from his back pocket and held it out to him. He remained still for a moment eyeing the wand as if he would snatch it up and break it in half at any given moment. Instead, he quietly thanked Anora for her help before taking it and putting an end to the angry flames that danced around the stovetop.

"You really ought to attach a bell to that thing, Dad," Anora said as she settled down at the table, "before you get hurt."

Gerald muttered something about tying his wand to his neck as he cleared the smoke away but before he could respond, Anora was already glancing around in search of her mother.

"Where's Mum?"

Of course, there was no answer that needed to be given verbally as there was a sounding crash from outside the home, followed by a hefty amount of swears.

"Never mind."

In the most recent days of her quidditch retirement, Simone had decided that she was going to take up gardening to keep herself busy. What she believed was going to be a rather peaceful hobby had been quite the opposite especially as their gardens had been riddled with pesky garden gnomes for the last week or so. They would tear out new plants or kick soil around, leaving very little to grow successfully. And eventually, Simone grew tired of playing nice, going after them nearly every single morning. Sometimes, she got the best of them, other times, they got the best of her. Judging by her swearing, it seemed they had gotten the best of her that morning.