{5: Memory}

{5: Memory}

That memory frequently replays itself within Kageyama's head.

Which memory, exactly?

The memory of the event that left Kageyama without Hinata, or rendered him 'Hinata-less' as Tanaka would likely say.

"One more toss, PLEASEEEEEEEE Kageyama," Hinata begs, meanwhile invading Kageyama's personal space. Uttering a string of curses relating to the fact that Hinata's hopeful expression is EXTEREMELY cute and hard to resist, Kageyama mutters a "fine."

The two, which had been practicing outdoors due to the fact that the gym floor is getting polished, struggle to prevent the ball from flying into the nearby street. Feeling more tired than he would care to admit, Kageyama tosses to Hinata. This toss, done with what little energy he has left, is different than his usual toss. Sure, it soars through the air just as high and just as fast but...

But...

This toss is aimed a little too far left.

It is aimed a little too close to the road.

Kageyama can feel his eyes involuntarily widen as he watches Hinata dash past him a blur of orange. Hinata, as if acting on instinct, sprints to get the ball, the ball that now flying out over the road.

"WAIT, HINATA!" Kageyama hollers, meanwhile hurrying to catch up with the exceptionally fast spiker. "DON'T ATTEMPT TO HIT IT! WAIT! DON'T GO ONTO THE ROAD, A TRUCK IS-." Kageyama, who was hollering as loud as his throat would allow, soon goes unheard over the squealing of brakes and the sound of a body connecting with a truck.

Hinata, who seemed to fly when jumping, now seems to fly for a different reason. The truck, a monstrous tractor trailer, despite attempting to stop, hits Hinata at a high speed. His small body flies through the air, and seems to glow in the fading evening light.

Kageyama isn't sure what is the scariest, seeing Hinata about to be a hit by a truck, him getting hit by the truck, or the aftermath of Hinata getting hit by the truck.

As Kageyama runs so fast that his legs feel like they are on fire, he hopes that since Hinata avoid being run over (and squished) by the truck, that he'll (somehow) be okay. However, his heart grows heavy as he notices that Hinata isn't moving. A boy, who usually can't even sit still for five seconds, ISN'T moving. In fact, Kageyama can't even detect the subtle rise and fall of his chest.

Kageyama skids to a stop before Hinata's body. He looks bumpy and bruised, like a rotten apple. Kageyama feels his heart skip a beat as he notices that there are red smears on the road, and that the red smears all seem to have been the result of Hinata's skin scraping against the pavement as he rolled to a stop after his harsh landing.

"Oi, dumbass, get out of the road," Kageyama says, instead of hollering like he usually does. He hopes to hear some sort of sassy response, but the only response het gets is silence.

The silence could kill him.

"Don't just lay there, idiot," Kageyama adds, soon crouching down next to Hinata. Desperate to get some sort of response from Hinata, Kageyama gently shakes him, and repeatedly says, "Get up, dumbass. Get up, get up, get up!"

The silence, that still has yet to be interrupted, is killing him.

The fact that Hinata SEEMS to be dead is killing him.

The fact that it is COMPLETELY Kageyma's fault that Hinata got hit by a truck is killing him.

"Dumbass, " Kageyama mutters, meanwhile just staring at his breakfast. Kageyama doesn't clarify who he is calling a dumbass. For once, it is likely that he is calling someone besides Hinata a dumbass.