CHAPTER FIFTY-FIVE

Days leading up to the First Task, Eleanor found herself trying to fill every waking moment with her knitting as it seemed to be the only thing that could offer a proper distraction from the talk of the Tournament

Days leading up to the First Task, Eleanor found herself trying to fill every waking moment with her knitting as it seemed to be the only thing that could offer a proper distraction from the talk of the Tournament. Since no one knew what to expect for the First Task, plenty of students had been theorizing what they believed it would be, and some of the theories nearly made her heart skip a beat. Was it too much to ask for a year with little to no drama? Of course, if Marnie were to deliver the answer, she would venture to say yes, it was too much to ask for because Harry Potter still attended the school.

However, Eleanor would not bring herself to put blame on Harry, the boy was under enough stress as it was. The majority of the school didn't seem to care for him very much since his name had been called, and he and Ron were still not on good terms with one another. Leaving Hermione in the awkward position of going back and forth between the two of them. And Eleanor could certainly sympathise in some respects because as of late, she felt like she was constantly going back and forth between Marnie and Cedric.

There had been no argument or fight, but Eleanor could sense there was something between them, even though they still smiled and laughed when they were all around each other. But perhaps it was the way that Marnie would talk about other boys in the castle, and Cedric would quickly excuse himself to go and find Cho. She had hoped with the upcoming trip to Hogsmeade, that she could convince the two of them to accompany her for the day, wanting to spend time together like they had done so in the past.

"Sorry, Ellie," Marnie said after Eleanor had asked her that very morning, "I promise we'll go on the next trip together, but I have a date."

There was a loud clanking sound that caused Eleanor and Marnie to jump before they looked over to see that Cedric had dropped the goblet he had been holding in his hand. His juice had spilt all over the table, right onto his trousers, but he didn't seem to mind or rather he didn't care as he continued to look at Marnie with a surprised stare.

"You have a date?" he repeated. "With who? How come I'm only hearing about this now?"

Marnie bit into a piece of her bacon nonchalantly. "That's because we kept it on the low and didn't tell anyone," she said, "you don't have to know when everything happens, Cedric, goodness. And if you two must know, I'm going on a date with Lee Jordan."

It was Eleanor's turn to drop the fork in her hand, bringing Marnie to reach across the table and pull all the silverware and dishes away from the two before they could make any more noise.

"Lee?" Eleanor said. "But I thought you were looking at the boys from Beauxbatons and Durmstrang?"

"Well, I was," she said, "but then I was thinking about it and do I really want to commit myself to a long-distance relationship? I don't think so. Besides, I didn't ask him, he asked me first. It's not a big deal, it's just a date. If we both like it, we'll go on another one and see where it goes from there."