Chapter Four

I really like this. I let the silky, sky-blue material glide between my fingers. Funny, I don’t remember it. Wonder if Mom got it. Guess she’s sick of my sweat suits. I swayed to the right and left, the nightgown shimmering with my movement. Not one for dresses, I thought it strange that I didn’t mind it hitting my ankles. Glancing down at the low-scooped neckline, I stepped forward, my feet landing in cool, damp grass.

 What am I doing outside? A full moon lit up our backyard; the storage shed, the old swing set, and the remains of this year’s garden all bathed in a cool, blue light. Instinctively, I wrapped my arms around myself. After the cabin, I thought I’d be permanently chilled to the bone. However, tonight I was comfortable, even warm.

 A breeze lifted my hair, sending it flying into my face. Securing the strands with my fingers, I was shocked to discover the blonde locks stretched down to my waist.

 It’s never been this long. I glanced around again. This must be just a dream. Well, if it is, I’m going to run. I took off, my feet gliding through the grass. I slowed only to unlatch the back gate, and then I plunged into the dark woods. I felt no fear. This was a dream after all. I was glad the nightgown moved with me, not hindering my movements as it should. My lungs didn’t burn, like they would’ve running this hard without warming up.

Confident it was definitely a dream, I pushed myself to go faster, my feet barely skimming the ground as I shot through the trees. Then in one leap, I wasn’t on the ground at all. Sweet! I’m flying!

 Something expanded on either side of me as I instinctively flexed and retracted muscles between my shoulder blades I wasn’t aware I had. At first, it felt stiff, unyielding, like this was the first time they’d been used, but within a heartbeat, everything warmed up, the contractions smooth and effortless. My lungs felt twice their size as I breathed, the air entering chambers that felt starved for oxygen. I glanced over and gasped.

This is seriously the best dream ever! A pair of long, slender wings buzzed back at me, their furious movement turning them into a blur of silver against the black night. I soared as I trailed my hands along the tops of the trees, the orange, red, and yellow leaves dancing in my wake. When my cheeks and jaw muscles ached, I realized I was smiling ear to ear. I shot forward. The monster’s finally gone!

 The landscape below shrank as I pushed my wings harder. Then, wondering if this dream meant I should leave Durango, I stopped abruptly. Hovering, I gazed down at the scenery below me. Meandering through the farmland, the Animas River shimmered in the blue moonlight. Cows nestled together, trying to keep warm. Every detail felt so real, even the earthy smell of plowed fields in the breeze. Sighing, I decided to turn around and head back. When the night air pressed against me, feeling cold, urgency engulfed me. I shifted to the right, diving down several feet. Within minutes, I recognized the woods.

Oh good, I’m close. The panic to get home was intense.I glanced up to see the black night was paling. Watery yellow was breaking through in the east, rosy plumes blossoming in the sky—dawn was close.Back aching between my shoulder blades, I decided not push my wings any further and landed. My naked feet registered the shock of the frozen ground beneath me as I shuffled forward. With every step, my body grew heavier. Crap… I’m not going to make it. I felt myself tumbling down.

                                                         --------------------------

I stretched my legs out and then recoiled into a tight ball on my side again. “Brrr, where are my covers?”

The bright light was making the back of my eyelids pink, but I didn’t want to wake up yet. Just a few more minutes. My hands reached for Grandma Johnson’s quilt, but instead felt cold dampness. Confused, I tried to rouse myself completely, but found my body rebelling. Every muscle felt stiff and sore.