Chapter 3

The next morning, after Taylor and I stumbled back to the Ravenclaw dormitories the night prior and discovered that we were roommates, we make our way down to History of Magic. Taylor practically had to force me onto the moving stairs, but after a reminder that we only had four minutes until we would be late, I complied. We manage to throw ourselves into a third-row table before I look around and realize that this is a joint class - with Slytherin.

Out of the corner of my eye, I can see that Taylor is sitting completely still as if she has also just become aware of her surroundings.

"Where is he?" I ask, taking note of how painfully straight my posture is right now.

"Two aisles to the right, one row ahead of us," Taylor dutifully reports, albeit a bit stiffly. I toss my gaze in that direction and it slams head-on into Draco's. He is turned so that his body is completely facing mine, that smirk looking more inviting each time I see it. Even though I know he saw me looking at him, I rip my eyes away from his and train them carefully on the vacant podium at the head of the classroom.

The rest of the room's constant speaking and shuffling dies down into a dull drone, but if I could hear Draco's eyes on me, it would be ear-shatteringly loud. As much as my mind wants to focus on anything but him, it would take a much stronger person than myself to resist his pull. Even after class begins and Professor Binns starts his lecture, my eyes are itching to return to his.

After the whirlwind that my life has been since I stepped foot off of the train yesterday, a boy should really be the last thing on my mind. There's just something about his obvious interest in me when he seems to hate everyone else that makes me curious about him. I try to take notes, following along with the lecture and forcing myself to focus. It's my first class on my first day. I can't let a boy distract me now.

"Malfoy is like... blatantly staring at you," Taylor whispers ten minutes into class. I had almost been able to focus before she mentioned it. Now I'm fighting a losing battle with my own mind, begging myself to just sneak a glance in his direction.

"Should I look?" I ask, adjusting my body again with the fresh reminder of my audience. I lift my chin and toss my hair, but keep my eyes firmly on Binns. Taylor rolls hers.

"No, you should not," she tells me, with enough finality that I actually try and listen to her. My mind repeats each word as soon as the professor says them, concentrating so hard that I can't concentrate at all. Eventually, the weight that came with Draco's stare lifts and I'm positive he isn't looking anymore. Now in the clear, I dare to look toward him.

Draco is whispering to the boy beside him, animatedly raising his eyebrows and using his hands to make his point, whatever it may be. I watch him for a moment, wondering how someone with such a soft face and an easy smile could be so renowned for being cruel.

I watch while he adjusts the hood of his robes and leans back in his chair, spreading his legs out in front of him and crossing his arms. When he looks back at me again, I don't expect it. He catches me with my chin sitting in my open palm, full-frontally and unapologetically staring at him. Instead of poking fun, he just smiles at me. Not a smirk, not half smirk half smile. Just a genuine, simple smile.

My smile is way too eager, and I have to drop my face back down to my notes to keep from giggling. A moment later when I look back his direction he is facing forward again, but I can see a toothy grin plastered on his face.

After class, I have to fight the urge to pack my things too slowly in hopes that I might run into Draco. It feels incredibly juvenile, so instead, I fill my bag with moderate quickness and funnel out into the hallway with Taylor and the rest of our classmates.