Chapter 9: In exchange

"Mika, my boy." Ferid came up to Mikaela who was training against another vampire, and he wraps one of his arms around the blonde.

With a stern, straight face, Mika looks at Ferid with his usual unenthusiastic expression. But he didn't shake off the arm on his shoulder.

The higher noble moves his head closer to the teenager's ear and whispers, "8 days until you can see precious princess." He smirks.

(Y/n) saw what was going on from the distance. She was sitting out on a bench, resting after a difficult training session with another vampire.

She sat back and witnessed Ferid putting his arm around Mika and whispering in his ear, from the other side of the large room. But she couldn't make out the words he was saying to his ear.

When she saw Ferid smirk more deviously than usual, the girl grew suspicious. Her eyebrows furrowed, wrinkling to the centre of her forehead. "What could they be talking about?" She asks herself under her breath. 'Did they have a secret pact with each other?' It questions (Y/n) since she knew that Mika has a strong dislike towards Ferid.

When the high noble walks away from her partner, she decides to walk over to him herself.

But as (y/n) walks towards Mika, she wonders what she was going to ask him. They weren't that close and they just met the day before. So the chance of him telling (y/n) what was going on between him and Ferid was very improbable.

She takes a deep breath in and decides to wing it. "Hey, partner." She greeted while waving at him.

He responds to the greeting with a straight face and a simple, "Hello". He takes a vile from his pocket and drinks the red liquid contained inside.

(Y/n) watches him chug it down in 2 seconds. "Is that Krul's blood?" She asks, pointing at the tube which was now empty. Mika nods his head and puts the vile back in his pocket. "How long can you survive with just vampire blood?"

"I don't really know."

"Have you ever tried drinking human blood?"

"No... If I do, I will become a full vampire and will lose my humanity."

"No denying, it's going to happen at some point."

"How would you know?"

"Krul and Ferid Bathory told me upfront. Vampires can't last with just vampire blood." As soon as she said that, she immediately saw a worrisome look on Mika's face. He was afraid. "Listen, I'm telling you this because you're my partner and I care about what happens to my partner. Might as well know now instead of later when you question yourself: why isn't her blood working?"

Hearing this from (Y/n)'s mouth made him feel a bit more open towards her, more accepting. He felt a little grateful to have a partner like her; someone who is looking out for others. Her selflessness made him less worrisome.

"Like I said, you're my partner. And I want us to be friends. I care about what happens to you." She said with a smile which appeared on her face. (Y/n) sticks her hand out in front of her. She looks up at the tall blonde and waits for him to decide what to do next.

Mika looks down at the hand for a moment, then back up to look at (Y/n) who was patiently waiting with her smile still there.