Chapter Six

Fallon- Three Years Ago
Donnell grips my waist tightly in warning as if to say"Say something slick and you're ass is mine when we get home." I keep the fake smile plastered on my face as we walk around the reception to greet the other people.

One of Donnell's team mates got married, and we're here to support. I can truly say it hasn't been enjoyable for me. He either grips my waist or hand way too tight. Donnell wears his expensive Armani suit while I wear my Chanel. On the surface, we look like the cutest couple ever. We do look good as a unit though.

We take our seats at the table with the other football players and their wives or girlfriends. The conversation is quite pleasant and , as always, Donnell is the center of attention. He cracks the jokes and tell the stories that makes everyone laugh. He's been like this as a child hence why he's such a conceited prick.

Klarrisa, the wife of Jed, taps my shoulder and whispers something into my ear.

"Are you okay?" She asks.

I nod my head and smile,"Yeah. Just a little queasy from the appetizers."

She frowns and calls a waiter over for ginger ale. Someone hasn't been this kind to me for a while.

"You didn't have to do that." I say.

"No. It's fine. I know how it feels to get sick from this type of food." She says.

She's a decent looking woman with caramel skin and curly brown hair. She's seems like a person I can easily become friends with. Should I take the chance? I feel Donnell's hand on my knee as the waiter pours me ginger ale.

"You okay?" He asks.

Surprised, I take a couple seconds to reply. Everyone stares at me as they wait for my response.

"I am now." I reply.

Everyone nods as if relieved that I didn't spill out the true reason. They don't know what Donnell does behind the scenes.

"You're so quiet. Why don't you come to the meetings that the other wives and I have every Thursday? They're really fun." Klarrisa asks me as Donnell distracted the others.

I shrug and say,"I'm usually busy with other things. I'll try to come one day."

That night, Donnell pushed me down a flight of stairs, causing me to have another miscarriage.

Present Day
I shudder at the memories of Donnell and I every time I have time to think, which is almost always.

Michael
On a truly rare day, I make sure I make it home by 8:00 so I can greet Fallon and see that's she's settled in. I open the front door of my home and Imani immediately dashes into my arms.

"A lady is here! A lady is here!" She exclaims in excitement. I pick her up and kiss her forehead.

"The lady" she's referring to is Fallon who just arrived a few minutes before me. She comes down the steps gracefully in a turtleneck, jeans, and moccasins. She smiles pleasantly and says hello.

"Hey. All settled in?" I ask.

"Uh, no. I haven't unpacked yet. I don't have much anyway." She says.

I notice a bit of discoloration on her neck when she turns it, but I could've looked too fast.

"Come on. I'll show you around the house. You've already met my daughter, Imani, right?" I ask.

She walks towards me and nods her head.

"This cutie was the one who showed me to my new room." She says while smiling at Imani.

Imani blushes and tries to hide her face in my shirt. Up close, Fallon's face is pristine. I look at her neck to see if what I saw was real. It is. She catches my stare and blushes.

"You've met my chef and maid? Right?" I ask trying to forget but the image won't get out of my mind.

She nods.

"Yes. They were very nice." She says.

I put Imani down and turn to Fallon who seems so out of place. I frown a little.

"Let me show you around the house, and we can talk a little more." I suggest softly.

"Yeah because I almost got lost trying to get down here." She says chuckling.

I chuckle as we walk up the stairs.