Chapter 38- Back At School Monday, January 5, 2015

Start from the beginning

"Hey, mom." I said, greeting her with a hug and a kiss on the cheek.

"Hi Derek, are you ready to go to school?" Mom asked.

"Ready as ever." I said, try to leave out the disgust in my voice at the mention of that hellhole.

Mom nodded as she looked over my shoulder. I looked to see Melly coming with our son in her arms, wrapped in his favorite baby blue blanket. He's has grown a little bit bigger over the two week since he's been born. Obviously, he's still small, but he's growing. Mom stretched her arms out to receive her grandson, who was fussy when he realized that he's no longer in Mel's.

"Aww, you'll be okay, little soldier. We'll be back, you're just going to be with grandma for a while. You're gonna have so much fun." Melly cooed, letting the crying baby wrap has hands around her finger and waving it around.

Melly kissed the baby's forehead, leaving a glob of pink lip gloss behind, and patted his head.

"We'll be back, buddy. Be good to grandma." I said, fixing his monkey hat as I kissed his head, while kissing the other side of his head where Melly didn't mark it with pink, gooey, and fruity smelling lip product.

I turned my head to see Melly frowning. I grabbed her hand and squeezed, giving her a small smile while doing so. She smiled back. While it is her decision to go to school, I have to support her about it and remind that what she's doing is a good idea. For all of us.

We waved our mom goodbye and headed out the door. Once we closed it, we heard one of the most heartbreaking noise of all; my little baby boy's crying for his parents to come back. I know that my girl is thinking the same thing; it's written all over her face.

She winced and looked at me. "Think this is too soon?"

I was about to answer, when she stopped me and said, "You know what, never mind. Let's just go."

I just shrugged at her, keeping my mouth shut. We climbed into the car, started it up, and drove to school.

{_}

Melly and I were by our locker, talking to our friends during first period. We were talking and laughing about our holiday vacation stories. Mike was telling his messy Christmas story of looking over his young cousins, who were running all over his aunt's and uncle's apartment looking for Santa, knocking everything over. It got everyone in our group, laughing, but I can't help to fear the day Danny grows up and do the same thing. Amy's story was less entertaining than the drummer as she was telling us what happened in her grandma's house, including baking snickerdoodles. Jack's story was the least entertaining as the most exciting one is spending all of his time with his parents. Everything was fine, until Brittany came up with her posse in her usual cheerleading outfit, staring at my girl from head to toe.

"So the little slut gave birth, eh?" The blonde girl asked.

"Leave her alone. This has nothing to do with you." I told her, gently, ready to do anything to defend my fiance.

"Shut up, I can do whatever I want. If she didn't want me to call her a slut, she shouldn't have opened her legs in the first place, there's nothing you and your nerdy friends can do about it." Brittany said, cringing her plastic nose at me.

"Well, if you would use your brain, you would know that your hang ups on Melly and her sexuality is not her problem. You're just being a bitch, which is nothing new." Amy intruded, looking like she's ready to fight the cheerleader.

"Watch it, bitch. Or else, I'll take you down with her." Brittany threatens.

So pathetic, like the only people who still cares about being popular and pretty in 2015 are superficial ones like her and Blake. The rest of us are just fine with being normal. I really don't know how anyone can live with themselves, knowing they're making other people miserable. Sure, you can't make everyone happy, but at least try to be nice to them, you know?