20

Camille,

"Camille, I'll meet you in New York for breakfast, along with your mother, she can explain why she's been gone." My dad said trying to reason with me.

"I don't-"

"Stop. Your going to see her whether you want to or not." He said. He cleared his throat. "I got a flight already and I'll be there tonight, this can't wait any longer."

"You have to tell me this stuff earlier. I'm going to bed."

"Alright, goodnight Camille, I love you."

I hung up the phone not replying. He doesn't love me. It's impossible to love someone fully when you've been hiding something from them.

I decided to dye my hair. It was time for a little change. After scrubbing most of the black dye off of my fingers, I went and took a quick shower and tied my hair into two braids.
~~~~

Dad:
I'll be there in a hour. You mom just landed here in NYC.

Me:
Okay.

I was mentally preparing myself for the emotion damage that was about to come my way. I was just mere hours away from seeing someone who should have been in my life in the last twenty two years, but died?

I got out of bed unwillingly and went to feed Coco. I then went to the bathroom and put on a grey sweatsuit nothing too special. I don't even know how I'm going to address her. I'm definitely not saying 'mom'.

  I'm an orphan.

When I got picked up by my dad the ride to the restaurant where we were having breakfast was silent. I sat in the backseat and had my headphones in. Nothing was said that didn't need to be said, and thinking about it, I should have just driven myself.

"Table for 3 please." My dad said to the waitress. She looked miserable, but I bet her situation isn't any worse than mine's.

"Would you like a booth?"

"No. Chairs if fine." We said in unison.

When we was seated I hid my face behind the menu. I didn't even feel like eating, and words couldn't describe how nervous I was at the moment.

"What's with the black hair? You going goth?" My dad asked trying to strike up a conversation.

"Nothing,  I just wanted something different." I said with not much emotion.

My "mom" was taking forever to get her. I started thinking she wasn't coming until I saw a newer all black Suburban with dark tinted windows pull up. A tall man got out of the car and opened the door for her and she stepped out while accepting his hand.

"This restaurant may be out of her league." My dad said staring at her.

"Definitely ." I responded following her with my eyes too.

I looked at my dad who was sweating a little like he knew something bad was about to go down.

When 'the woman' came over she sat directly in front of me staring. A waitress came and asked for what we wanted to drink.

"I'll just have water." My dad said.

"Hot chocolate." I said.

"I'll take a black coffee." She said. Her voice was deep, but not manly deep. Just deep for a woman. She turned back to me looking me up and down. Not in a rude way, but in a way that made me uneasy.

"Okay, I'll be back."

The woman than put a napkin on the lap formally.

"Are you going to cover your lap?" She asked me.

"No." I said dryly.

"Did you ever learn how to be ladylike?" She said getting rude.

"No because my dead mother was never there." I said putting bunny ears on the word dead.

She cleared her throat and turned to my dad.

"She's a beautiful girl Les." She said with a grin on her face.

"I know." I said since he didn't want to say anything.

"A little conceited here?" She said raising her eyebrows.

"No, more like very." I said getting smart.

"Camille you don't talk back to your mother."

"She's not my mom, my mom is dead."

She covered her mouth and looked down at herself.

"Well it appears to me that I'm whole and last time I checked, my heat was beating."

"Well I guess your not my mother than, why did you even want to meet me after so long?"

"Because I had to. I wanted to meet you at some point, but I never expected you to be so rude."

"Okay, let's start over." My dad said.

"Catherine, this is Camille-"

"I know she tore my-"

"Don't even say it. Did you not want to have me or something?" I asked confused.

"No, Camille I wanted to have you. I tried finding you, but this is all your dad's fault. He tried to-"

"Here are your drinks." The waitress said sitting everything in front of us.

"Thank you." My dad and the woman said.

"Still don't have any manners? Kids these days." She mumbled.

I didn't know if I wanted to let that slide or say something.

My phone vibrated and I looked down at my lap.

Odell:
I should have never told you that. I don't want you to be mad at me forever and stop taking to me.

Well I might, Odell. I just might.
---------------

Catherine?

Les?

Camille?

Excuse the errors.