Chapter Sixteen: Thank God for the Towel

It was five-thirty in the morning when Nox gently woke me. "I know it's earlier than you usually wake up, but I need to go back to the apartment to change my clothes. I thought you'd come with me so we could grab a coffee before school."

He was standing, still wearing only his jeans, both of our backpacks in his hands; he'd packed all of our stuff up already.

"You're going out shirtless?" My brain may still have been fuzzy from just waking up, but I instinctively felt protective of him.

"We're just going to the apartment, the drive isn't too long." Nox smiled at my sudden possessive behavior. "I like when you're protective of me," he laughed.

"I'll change at the apartment, too," I said, glad that Nox had taken me shopping for essentials like a toothbrush and deodorant to leave at his place. He'd practically bought me a new wardrobe as well, insisting that it was easier to buy new clothes than to transfer them back and forth between his place and mine.

"Come on," he said, "Kai is awake, too, so you can say bye to him before we leave."

In spite of the knowledge of Kai and Nox's newfound friendship I would be lying if I didn't say I felt a little awkward as we walked past Kai, who was sitting at the kitchen table reading something on his tablet.

"Morning," I said as we walked by.

Kai looked up from his tablet and raised an eyebrow when he saw Nox shirtless, but thankfully said nothing about it. "Morning. Why are you both up so early?"

"We're going to the apartment to change. Nox didn't bring enough clothes," I explained.

"You should bring everything here, since you'll be living with us." Kai suggested, looking at Nox.

Nox smiled, seemingly touched by the offer. "Thanks," he said, "I'll think about it."

"Oh, before I forget to tell you - I've decided to take summer classes at the college. I'm trying to expedite getting my degree."

"Okay, I'll make a note of it and we can discuss what classes you want me to register you for tonight." Nox nodded as he spoke, acknowledging Kai.

I couldn't help but smile every time they had a successful interaction – no matter how little it was; my happiness bucket filled up just a little more each time.

***

When we arrived at his apartment Nox let me have first dibs at the bathroom to brush my teeth and change. I was pretty fast - it took me about ten minutes to get ready. Now I was laying on his bed waiting for him to get out of the shower. Bored, I lay on my back with my head dangling off the bed. That proved to be a mistake - when Nox came out of the bathroom he was wearing only a towel wrapped around his waist, his muscular body still wet. I swallowed hard and the spit went down the wrong way causing me to choke and cough. I sat up quickly and ungracefully, patting myself on the back (not an easy feat when you're embarrassing and choking on your own saliva) vigorously.

Nox ran over and started patting on my back firmly. "Are you okay?" Though his voice sounded unmistakably concerned, his eyes danced with amusement.

"I'm fine," I said with a final cough, trying to seem nonchalant.

"I have to get dressed," he said.

Yes, yes he did, or I didn't think we'd make it to school today. Nox inspired so many feelings that I didn't know were within me to begin with, and it was obvious that I did the same to him. Now that we were truly open about our relationship and Kai seemed to be supportive of it, I could feel the irresistible draw between us. I'd always believe in the unmei akai ito - the red string of fate. Nox's origins were decidedly supernatural, so it was obvious to me that we were brought together by fate. We were meant to be together.