Chapter 2. (Amelia ^)

At nine-thirty-three I was stepping through the threshold of my house. Almost immediately I was met with the scolding eyes of my father and the humorous ones of my little brother.

I sighed, rolling my eyes and taking off my jacket I wore. The heat from the house instantly taking its effect and warming my cold skin.

"It is almost ten o'clock at night. Where the hell have you been?" My father glowered with angry eyes.

"Dad, it's fine. I was with Tyler. He needed someone to talk too. And besides, I told mom I was going out." I attempted to defend myself. That key word: Attempted.

"I don't give a damn if he needed to talk to someone. He could've talked to his others friends-"

"But I'm his best friend." I interjected, glaring hardly at my dad.

This was where we always butted heads. No matter who it was- unless it was my actual brother- my dad absolutely hated any guy who was around me. That included Tyler. Even though Tyler was the son of my (not blood-relative) aunt and uncle. There was Aunt Ashley (Ash) and Uncle Nick.

However, it seems my dad would always think of me as his little girl, if his next sentence was anything to go by.

"I. Don't. Care." He enunciated calmly. "You are my daughter and you are too young to be out with boys anyway. Even if," his eyes caught mine in a scowl when he saw me about to interject. "they're you're best friend."

My glare hardened at that, and before I could retort my mother came, wiping her hands with a dish towel. Her hair was placed in a messy bun with strands peeking out of the tie that held it together.

"Blake," I heard her whisper harshly, pressing a hand to his chest so he'd stay where he was. I could tell my dad was getting angrier as the days past with my attitude continuing to "worsen", but I never did care. I was a teenger. If he didn't expect attitude from me at all he was wrongly mistaken.

"Did you tell her she could go out?" He asked aloud, his eyes still staring into my own defiant one's.

My mom nodded, cupping his cheeks so she could stare in his eyes. "I knew she was going out and I wouldn't have let her if I didn't already know where she was going. Calm down. She's fine. She can protect-"

"What if she was kidnapped?! Or held at gunpoint!? Or even...or even..." he trailed off, closing his eyes tightly as his fist clenched tighter.

My mom wrapped her hand around his fist, and I could tell he was calming down. Apparently, mom knew why he was so protective of me and when I asked she would reply with "the world is a dangerous place. Your father and I know that very well. Your father just doesn't want you to get hurt." I always knew there was more to what she was saying, but she never did elaborate more.

Finally, my dad opened his eyes, gave one last smoldering glare at me, then abruptly turned from my mom's hold and walked up the stairs.

My mom and I both sighed. "I knew you were going to see Tyler, but you could've at least called to tell us you'd be home later than usual. On a school night no less." Came the calm voice of mom as she turned around. Bags shown beneath her eyes and I felt bad for the argument dad and I had because whenever we argued mom would get so stressed out. Dad and I just didn't have the relationship Mom and I had.

I shrugged. "Didn't think I needed too. I was going to be alright." I defended.

"We don't know that though, sweetie. When you're out of our sight we constantly worry about you. Your dad just shows it more. I have trust that you'll be okay when you're out with friends and such. Your father does too. It's just... your father is also scared when you leave," she placed a tentative hand on my shoulder. "He doesn't want his little girl growing up to then be let down by the the true horrors the world holds." Her voice was filled to the brim with sincerity which caused me to sigh and drop my head.