(3) My Love's Arising

Start from the beginning

I sprung off the floor and grab the keys of the Bugatti, already knowing neither of my parents will even realize I’m gone. The last thing I heard when I was going out through the door was my dad saying, “Hey Hail-Rain, you mind running to the other fridge to get us some milk?” He was smiling at an empty space in front of the fridge.

I shut the door and didn’t look back.

I arrived at Brent’s house at exactly 9:15 am, after stopping at Starbucks to get us both Banana Nut Muffins, and Mocha Lattes. He was stepping out of the door, and I saw him holding the Tiffany’s box. Then, the next thing I noticed was completely shocking. He was wearing the same clothes, but in one of his pockets was a rose. When he opened the car door, he immediately saw my expression, and saw that there was something wrong with me, like always.

“Hailee! You ok?!?” he asked, grabbing my shoulders and shaking them, trying to break me out of the trance I was in, and he eventually succeeded, but not before I asked him what was on my mind.

“Where’d you get that rose?”

“It was in my room this morning, just all by itself in a vase. Strange right?” he answered, glancing down at the rose.

My stomach dropped, dragging my heart along with it. I must’ve turned some shade of blue because Brent turned frantic, trying to get me to breathe. I looked at him for a long time, and started breathing, and he looked at me right back. In that moment, nothing mattered, I felt like I was lost in time. Very cliché, yeah, but that’s exactly how I felt.

I suddenly felt the impulse to tell him what I wanted to tell him last night, what was that again? Right now, I didn’t care… Oh, right. I wanted to tell him I loved him. And before my brain thought any better, probably from the lack of oxygen, my mouth took over.

“Brent can I tell you something?” I blurted out suddenly, and looking away, trying to hide my blush.

“Yeah, sure, what’s up?” he said, smirking, probably thinking that I’m so cute for blushing.

“I, um, I – I…”

“Yes…?” he said, dragging out the question part, making me blush harder, look down, and start playing with my thumbs.

Say it, stupid!

No, because what if I look like an idiot then!

Oh, like you don’t already look like an idiot right now!

Well I don’t want to make things weird!

This moment is making them weird.

It won’t change anything.

I’m such an idiot.

I sighed and let my brain beat my heart, and instead, I just asked another thing that was on my mind.

“Hey, Brent, do you believe in something that could make you relive the same day for the rest of your life?”

I immediately looked up, and saw a brief look of shock pass his face, a glint of hope in his eyes. He quickly composed himself, his look turning into a confused one.

“What are you talking about, Hails?”

I rolled my eyes and sighed. “Never mind,” I muttered, looking back to avoid his eyes and pull out of the driveway.

He also sighed and shook his head, “You are so difficult sometimes, Hailee.”

“Thank you,” I retorted sarcastically, glancing at him.

He rolled his eyes and looked out the window. “You see? Whatever.”

The rest of the day passed by the exact same way as yesterday. I decided to use the same comeback, because nobody will notice, and I had way too much on my mind. The delivery went much more smoothly though, because I wasn’t thinking about my past friendship with her.