The Foretold- Chapters 16-18

Start from the beginning

            What? Why?! For both the leaving and the communication.

            As the werewolves die off, so do I. I will be able to communicate from time to time with visions and dreams but we can not speak until the Vampire Queen is defeated.  And, as I said, you are in danger there.

            I will do my best,

            Good. And don’t worry my dear, you will see Daniel again, but be warned; not all is as it seems, and not all is lost.

Serenity’s voce fades out of my mind. “Wait! What do you mean?!” But she’s gone. I walk thoughtfully back to camp, lost in my own mind. When I get back the pack is eating and being strangely quiet. Aaron gives me a questioning look. I nod curtly at him. The pack stands up after they realize I’m here. I painfully make my way to the center of the crowd. “Alright, guys,” I start. “I’m not gonna sugar coat this; we have to leave, we can’t live here anymore.”

Everyone went berserk. It went a little like this:

Pack: “We can’t leave, what about Daniel?”

Me: “Daniel is gone,”

Pack: “We have to save him!”

Me: “Um, the vamps took him; we don’t know where he is,”

Pack: “You just want to take his place!”

Me: Exasperated groan. “He wouldn’t want us to get caught; we can’t help him if the vamps are still powerful!”

They just didn’t get it. I started a new tactic. “Well, um, I had a conversation with Serenity, and she said-”

            “Wait, Elizabeth, you had a conversation with the wolf goddess?” Alex interrupted.

            “Uh-huh, she said we got to go.”

            “How is that possible?”

            “Er, I’m not sure; she just said we have to leave because-”

            “No, not that,” Alex waved his hand dismissively. “How did she talk in your head and not make your mind go boom?

            “Oh, that. Well, since I’m The Foretold I have a connection with her or something.”

            “Hmmmmm,”

The pack had been watching me and Alex go back and forth the entire time. “So are we going to move or not?” Selena asks.

            “Yeah, the vampires know where we live; they could attack at any time.”

The pack nods in agreement. We all shift and as we are getting ready to go a wolf walks over to me. When it gets close I see it’s a non-werewolf. He tilts head in respect. “We can no longer stay with you. It has become too dangerous, we are going to leave.” He says.

            “I understand, stay safe,”

He trots into the forest, the other non-werewolves behind him. I take deep breath and face the pack, ready to leave. They all look at me expectantly. They all want me to lead them. Oh, Daniel if only you were here. I think. But I go to the front, Aaron and Selena on my left, and Alex and Melody on my right. Then I shook off my doubts and fears and gave into my wolf instinct: the will to survive. I narrowed my eyes and left the clearing behind, passed the lake, and left the only home most of us have ever known; never to look back.