Chapter 1

Rose lied in bed, staring at the barren ceiling as she contemplated the possible scenarios in which what tomorrow may entail. Mostly negative thoughts clouded her head. She was transferring to a new high school in Chicago. The school was very large and she hadn't known anyone there. It was called Lane Tech College Prep. Yes, if you've heard of it, it is a very good high school.

Her thoughts were interrupted by the ringing of her phone, laying next to her bed. She curled up on her bed and took the phone in her hands. The screen said "Frosty". It was the name of her best friend, well, only friend from her old school. It was in Springfield, Illinois. Seeing as Rose was nearly crying because she had been panicking, she did not answer. Frosty, determined in contacting her, called again. She then resorted to texting.

"Hey. I miss you so much!," She texted.

'Lies' Rose thought.

She texted back, "You too."

Also a lie. Frosty hadn't been a great friend, she was just a person that accepted Rose. Frosty didnt know anything about her. Her anxiety or depression. Maybe someone at Lane 'would be like her. Maybe she'd find a friend. One that cared for her. One that was nice to her. One that loved her, maybe.

A voice rang out in the silent room. "Rose?"

It had been her sister, Sophia. She was 12; she had blonde hair, usually in a ponytail. She had blue eyes and glasses. Very optimistic. Rose was nothing like her. Never doing anything wrong. Never in trouble. Never yelled at.

"What?" Rose asked in a tone that sounded meaner than intended.

"I'm sorry, that we moved here. I don't like it either. It'll be fine I suppose though. Just keep trying." Sophia smiled.

"Yep. Fine. Just fine, like me. But that's a lie. I'm not fine. And neither will this be," Rose wanted to say.

"Thanks," Rose said quietly.

She looked at her phone in hand. The clock said "10:37" and she closed her eyes.