One Life To Live

Heres another Short Story! :)

                                                                  One Life To Live

I took a deep breath, and snapped the picture.

“Good work Flemming. If you want, then you can leave.”

I shook my head. “No. I can’t.”

Jack sighed, and then walked back to a group of people kneeling on the ground. My head turned back to the body. The girl was lying flat on her back, her emerald green eyes open and empty. Her dark blonde hair was tangled and caked with dirt and blood. Her clothes torn. She showed signs of being strangled and stabbed in the stomach multiple times. I crouched down, grabbing her arm with my gloved hand and examined it. Long knife cuts ran across her arm. Was she a cutter?

I closed my eyes, and took a breath. I could feel my heart thumping, and open them again. Gently, placing her arm on the ground, I turned to look at her neck. "Just suck it up. You can do this." I thought. I turned back to look at the her, and snapped a picture.

                    ~**~

“Please Scott! Don’t do this.” The girl whispered, her voice shaking, as she backed up against the brick wall.

A boy walked towards her, as if stalking a prey, and chuckled darkly. She felt the cold brick on the palms of her hands, and closed her eyes. She bit her lip, as she felt something warm ooze onto her hand.

“Please! I don’t know what I did!”  She cried, as he got closer. The boy took one long stride and was right up next to her. He pushed her against the wall and whispered, “Babe, you didn’t do anything. You were only for my amusement. It wad quite fun actually.”

“Scott! I was only for you amusement?” Silent tears streamed down her face. “We had no chemistry then.”

He chuckled lowly, and leaned closer, whispering in her ear. “Bye babe. I had fun.”

She gasped as she felt something plunge into her abdomen. He stepped back and smiled in the dark. Her hand trembled as she pressed against her stomach, and lifted her hand to her face. The smell of fresh blood raced through her nose.

His hands flew to her neck, squeezing. His face moved closer to hers, and he laughed. She cried. This was it. She was going to die, and the last thing she would remember was him laughing. Black dots began to cloud her vision.

“Goodbye Mia.” He whispered. His hands squeezed again, with more strength. She felt the air leaving her. Being sucked right from her. She closed her eyes, and waited. Thoughts ran through her head.

‘Goodbye Mom, I’m sorry for everything I ever said to you.’ she thought.

‘Daddy…I’m going to miss you. Evelyn, I’m so sorry! I’m going to miss you…big sister. Bethany, you were the greatest friend a girl could ever ask for. Gabe. Oh gosh. What am I going to say about you? You are an amazing guy. I wish you knew that.’

She felt the-no her blood ooze down her dirty jeans. And she fell farther into darkness.

                    ~**~

“Poor Mia.” I whispered, as my fingers left her neck. I stood up.

“Jack, I gotta go.” I called, trying to keep a straight voice. My back was turned to him, but I could hear his feet making his way to me. A warm hand pressed against my shoulder. “I understand. This must be hard for you.”

I nodded. “It is.”

Jack pressed both his hands against my shoulders, turning me around. I looked towards the ground, pretending to be interested in the cement. He took my chin in his hand, and lifted my face. “We’ll find her killer. Don’t worry.” He whispered, pressing his lips against my forehead.

“I already know who it is.” I whispered, my voice cracking, as I neared the edge of tears.

“I’m here for you, Evelyn.”

I looked up at him and smiled weakly. “Thanks Jack.”

He smiled. And he knew that was all I needed. Just that one smile to comfort me. I offered him a weak smile, and turned around walking away. My hand started to finger my heart necklace, my little sister gave me. Mia Flemming. My little sister.  My hand dropped to my side. Opening the door of my car, I slumped inside. I gripped my hands against the steering wheel, and the tears started to flow. I started to car and drove away.

I was going to find him. I was going to find Scott and give Mia the closure she needed.

Or maybe the revenge she needed.