Chapter Nineteen

Začať od začiatku

"I need to go off on my own" I said, after I'd finished shopping for Layton.

"Are you kidding?" Antony snorted, "no way. Layton would have ours heads if we let that happen".

"I'll be fine, Antony, I promise. But there are a few things I need to get on my own" I sighed. I gave them a pleading look, holding my hands together in a begging gesture. "Half an hour, that's all I need. Please?"

Antony looked at me, his eyes burning into my skull as he scrutinised my face closely. But, finally, he sighed heavily and nodded yes. "Half an hour, that's it. Then, I want to meet back there". He pointed to a small diner opposite to where we stood then.

"Thank you" I grinned. I took off towards the stores, buying a few more things. Then, I headed to where I really wanted to go – to the drugs store.

A week after the Full Moon, I missed my period. I had thought that I could have been pregnant then, but I didn't say anything. I waited a few more weeks, and when I still hadn't gotten my period; I was almost certain I was pregnant.

I was extremely excited, but I was more excited to tell Layton. I knew he would be happy with the fact we were starting our family, he would be happy that I would be providing him with a pup.

Inside the drug store, I picked up a pregnancy test; even though I was fairly confident I was pregnant. As I scanned the shelves, deciding on which brand of test I wanted, a voice sounded out behind me.

"You're dating Mr Vetteriano aren't you?" the voice questioned. I turned on my heels, to see three men and a woman. All of them with in their mid-twenties, and looked at me with narrowed eyes. I instantly went of the defensive.

"Mr Vetteriano is my husband" I replied, before I turned away. I picked up a pregnancy test from the shelf and pretend to be studying it – but the words weren't registering with me. I could feel the presence of the four people behind me, and they were making me nervous.

"You and your husband run a cult don't you?" one of the men asked. My heart began to hammer, and I was getting extremely nervous and scared. My hands shook around the pregnancy box, as my other hand slipped into my pocket and gripped my phone.

The three men suddenly surrounded me, the woman holding back slightly. "Answer me, bitch" one of the men snapped, slamming his hand against the shelving. I jumped in shock, spinning on my hips to come face to face with humans.

"We don't run a cult" I stated. I was scared, no terrified, but I tried my best to keep my voice as confident as possible. "We live in a gated community with our family and friends, that is all".

"You think we're all fucking stupid don't you?" the man to my left – the tallest one – demanded. "We know you do all kinds of weird shit up there. I mean last month you sacrificed some poor girl to Satan, or whoever you worship" he snapped; slight spit spraying from his mouth and hitting me.

"That girl was mauled by a wild animal, the police said so" I whispered, voice small. My hands were gripping the pregnancy test, as I faced the people off.

"Bullshit" the woman screeched, stepping closer and forcing me to back up against the shelves. My back hit hard, and the shelves wobbled slightly. "We know you all killed that woman, no matter what the police say".

"We didn't, we'd never met that woman before". I pressed two on my phone – speed dial for Antony. I only had three phone numbers of my phone; Layton was number one, Antony two and Arlene was three.

"Aw, boys, the little girl is having baby" the woman cooed, pretending to think it was lovely. "Wouldn't it be horrible, if something were to happen to that wittle baby cult leader?" She spoke in a childish way, and the men laughed. Tears filled my eyes, and a few spilled out.

"Please, just let me pass" I pleaded, trying to step forward. They didn't move, so I stepped back again. "Please, just let me out of the drug store". I made sure to say where I was, to help Antony know where to find me.

"Shut up bitch" the shortest man screamed. I whimpered at the volume, and the aggression. Whenever Layton, or other male Wolves, said bitches it was normal; but the humans meant it in a harsh way.

"Excuse me, is there a problem here?" a voice said from our left. We all turned to see the drug store manager; he didn't look happy with the view he saw. He noticed me, and recognition flashed through his eyes. "Mrs Vetteriano, are these people bothering you?"

"Yes, Sir, they are" I replied quickly. The manager look wary of me; no doubt he had heard of Layton and his harsh ways. But I didn't care, I was just glad that he had saved me. He turned to the people.

"Out all of you. You're terrorising a costumer, and disturbing the others. All of you out now, before I call the police". There was a heavy moment, before the woman nodded to her friends and they all left. As soon as it was just the manager and me, I let out a heavy sigh.

"Thank you" I smiled.

"I am so sorry, Mrs Vetteriano. Please, whatever you want, it's on me today". The manager was nervous; he knew that Layton could ruin his business if he so wanted. He took the pregnancy test of me, and took it to the counter – just as Antony entered.

As soon as he saw me, he rushed to my side. "You alright?" he asked, I could see the panic in his wide eyes. I nodded, a few more tears spilling from my eyes. I quickly embraced Antony; throwing my arms around him. He froze, not hugging me back, but didn't move away until I did.

"I thought they were going to hurt me" I admitted, wiping my tears away. The manager came back, with a bag of my purchases and handed them to me. "Thank you" I smiled, taking the bag.

Antony had a few words with the manager, before he drove us back to the territory. "Are you going to mention it to Layton?" I asked, as Antony helped me carry my bags inside.

"About the people attacking you, or this?" he demanded. I turned around to him, to see him holding the pregnancy test. I rushed over and grabbed the box from his hands, before shoving it back into the box.

"I don't know if I am pregnant, I just think I am" I explained, frowning at him. "But if I am, then I will be the one to tell him".

"Yes Alpha Female" he smirked, laughing softly. "But, yes, I have to tell him about those humans". Not long after he left to go find Layton.

Layton wasn't happy about what happened, and when he returned he cussed out every human in the country. I sat on the bed, quietly, listening to his long winded rant. It was the first time – since I had met him – that I had heard him sound so passionate about something. And that something, was mass genocide of humans.

"Please, Layton, let's just forget about it" I sighed, taking his hand and pulling him over to the bed with me. He frowned, but didn't argue as we lay down together. I rested my head on his chest; hearing the way his heart beat sounded.

"Layton" I whispered, getting ready to tell Layton what he had wanted to hear since we'd first started dating. That I was pregnant, that I was going to have his pup. I was excited to tell him, and excited for him to find out.

"Yes?" he asked, just as his phone began to wail loudly. "One second" he smiled at me, before answering. It was Antony. He listened for a few minutes, before frowning and turning to me. "I need to take this outside" Layton said to me.

I frowned, but nodded. I waited for him to return, and when he did – he wasn't happy. Instead, he was furious. "Layton what's the matter?" I jumped off the bed, as rushed to his side.

Layton let out a low growl, his jaw clenching in anger. "Layton what's wrong? What happened?" I demanded.

"We have another dead human on our land".