Chapter Six

Chapter Six

I dressed in a pair of black jeans and a sweater, but Layton told me to change into something more formal. So I dressed into a knee length red dress, which came in at the waist before flaring out in stiff pleats – I paired it with some small black flats.

When I met Layton downstairs, he gave me a nod of approval. "Let's go" he stated, holding the front door open for me. I walked out, and waited for Layton to join me. When he did, he placed his hand on the bottom on my back and pushed me to his car.

He ushered me into the passenger's seat, before walking around to the driver's seat and starting the car. We drove for a few minutes in a tense silence – to swallow the quietness I flicked the radio on.

Layton glared in my direction, before turning the radio off. "I don't want to listen to the radio" he grumbled.

"Sorry" I whispered out – eyes down in submission.

When we arrived at the restaurant, I was shocked at the extravagance of it. The entire place was dimly lit, with small candles on each table and the booths all had small spotlights above them. The glass windows were large, and showed the darkening street outside.

Walking into the restaurant, a few people glanced our way. It was odd, because even though the humans didn't know that Layton was an Alpha they still all knew of him. He had investments in lots of local and international businesses, and if he dealt with his work staff in the same manner as he did with his pack – I could see why even the local people feared him.

"Mr Vetteriano" the host said, eyes nervous as he looked at Layton. But he looked shocked at seeing me with him – I couldn't imagine Layton having company too often. I wasn't exactly thrilled to be his company either; but, then, I didn't really have a say in the matter. "Booth or table?"

"Booth" Layton stated, voice just as cold and stiff as it always was. The waiter nodded, and led us to a booth near the back. People whispered and stared as we walked past, I blushed slightly – not liking that I was the centre of attention.

As we sat down, Layton glanced at me. "Red or white?" he asked. I gave him a blank look – not knowing what he was on about. "Red or white wine?" he clarified when he saw my blank expression.

"White" I said – more of a question than an answer. I had never drank before, or even thought about drinking. I remembered all the times that Jacob got drunk at parties, and would ask me to come pick him up. I used to borrow my sister's car and drive him home – even though I wasn't that great of a driver.

Layton turned back to the waiter. "Your best bottle of white" he ordered. The waiter nodded and scurried off. I could still feel everyone's eyes on us, and I squirmed uncomfortably. "Are you alright?" he asked.

"Everyone is staring at us".

Layton shrugged, "they probably think you're too young for me". His look told me that he didn't care about the matter, nor did he care about the other customs in the restaurant.

"Do you think I'm too young for you?" I asked. I really wanted to know why he had chosen me, apart from the fact I was 'a challenge'. And I had decided that I had to swallow my fear and ask the questions that had been gnawing me since meeting Andrea.

Layton looked at me for a few seconds, before he spoke again. "You are young, not in age but in the way you are. But, I don't really care – you are mine, you belong to me".

I was about to ask another thing, when the waiter arrived. "Your wine sir". He showed the bottle to Layton, who nodded yes. Then the waiter poured a small bit into two glasses, and handed one to Layton and one to me.