If I knew anything, it was that Rikert knew exactly how to get me to shut up and forget things. But I remembered them later when I was alone. Like right now, when Rikert and I went our separate ways for class. As I sat in my English lesson I wasn't able to focus on the teacher's words.

I kept trying to think of what had happened to Rikert. It sort of looked like someone had hit him. But I had no idea who would do that. And if that was true, why would he get so upset about me asking? I was so concerned and bewildered. It was all I could think of for the rest of the day.

************

Patrick had been avoiding me since he'd found out about Rikert and me three days ago. The last time he'd spoken to me was when I'd gone down stairs to go to bed. He had been sitting on the couch in the lounge area. When I walked into the room, he had stopped and just stared at me with these weird eyes that I couldn't even explain.

I had looked back at him warily. "What?" I had mumbled quietly. The entire situation had made me feel self conscious.

He had stuck his bottom lip out and shook his head as if there wasn't anything going on. "Nothing," he had said in a fake-casual voice.

That run-in had rattled me and I'd scurried to my room, not giving him another glance. Literally the only time I saw Patrick since then was him driving me to school the last three mornings. I never ran into him in the building, he wasn't at lunch, and by the time I got home he was either in his room or at a friend's. Dinners had been weirdly quiet without him there as well. I did my best to forget about it. I didn't need to overthink how much he hated me just like most people did. That was on my mind more than enough.

Making matters worse for me, Kieran kept asking to hang out after school. I'd tell him no and he would demand why not. Then when I politely, and a bit reluctantly, told him that I had plans with Rikert, he would get weird and angry. The way he tried to talk to me about my boyfriend was unnerving, too. It was like he didn't like my relationship or something.

Now, I shut my locker and saw Kieran walking towards me. I sighed, hoping he would be decent to me today. I gave him a half smile.

"Hey, Kier," I said.

Kieran's face was oddly solemn. "We need to talk. Follow me."

I scrunched up my face as I curiously followed him down the hall. I hadn't seen him at lunch either, which was weird because he had been in French. My mind was going through dozens of possibilities and everyone of them was worrying me.

Kieran stopped at a bathroom and pulled the door open. He ushered me in and I slowly walked forward. He checked to make sure the room was empty before he went back to the door and locked it.

My eyes widened. "Kieran, what are you doing?" The bell went off, signaling the start of the next class. "I'm late for Art Media, now."

Kieran shook his head at me. "That's not important," he said, moving to stand by me. "I want to know more about you and Rikert."

I narrowed my eyes. I could already feel myself getting defensive. "Why?"

"It's just weird," he snapped. "You and him. He's never been nice to many people outside of his friends. But then with you he started to soften up."

I nibbled on my cheek as I stared at him. "That's because he loves me. Why is that so big of a deal?"

Kieran shook his head again, more vigorously. "You don't get it, Caise. Rikert's not that good of a guy. I feel like he's going to end up hurting you or something."

I winced at his words. "No," I mumbled. "You don't know what you're talking about. Rikert loves me, and I love him. He only cares about me."

Kieran gave me a firm look. "You shouldn't be with him."