Chapter 10: Misery Loves Company

Start from the beginning

      Like you can't breathe and the more you think about it, the tighter the constriction around your chest feels and you're just left utterly crushed. I mean, look at me! I am hiding in Chris's backyard of the big party, crying my eyes out over a guy who doesn't seem to care about me, and now some stranger wants to talk to me!

        If I am completely honest with myself; I feel utterly stupid crying over a boy. Never thought I'd be that girl, too stupid to not see the signs. Now I can see that it's not always the case. I quickly wipe my face of any tear streaks and focus my eyes. 

      I am shocked to find out that it's none other than THE Ryder Bently, arriving at yet another embarrassing moment for me. This is just FREAKING great! "Y- eah... I'm fine! No need to worry about me! I just need a few minutes alone." I try to lie as my voice cracks.

        I don't think Ryder buys it as he just stands there instead of turning around and walking away like I expected he would. 

       "I was going to drink this to help me, but maybe you need it more than I do." He offered up the unopened beer in his hand. My runny nose sounded off as I tried to breathe in. I was trying to calm myself long enough to get through this moment. I shook my head and waved my hands. 

      "No, no, I'm fine! Really. Just..." I quickly used one hand to hold my head as I looked down, ashamed to show my contorting face. 

       "I need to be alone..." A soft sob escaped my throat and I hated it. Of course, the world would chew me up, just to spit me back out at this party. I was too excited for it. 

        "Aria?" I looked at him shocked. I didn't think he would know my name. Quickly grabbing onto any other topic, I ask, "How- do you know my name?"

        "Lucky guess." He slightly shrugged before looking out towards the backyard. "I know you said you needed to be alone, but I got my own little 'Cinderella sob story' problems going on. The only other place that's void of all the noise is in those woods at the edge of the property." I tilted my head, wondering what's ruining his night at the party. Ryder looked back at me and continued. 

      "I'd prefer to not go out there and stand like Slenderman after talking to you. So if you'll allow me, I'd like to occupy-" He moved to lean on the railing that lined the patio. "-this spot." If it wasn't for the mediocre lighting, I would swear he was making a smug smile. I couldn't help but speak my mind. 

         "But... that's my spot..." He looked down, clearly pretending to be surprised. "Oh! I'm sorry." He points to the space next to him. "Unlike someone, I'm willing to share." I clench my jaw.

        This was my spot first! No- I'm not going to let another boy walk over me. Even if it's one of the school's more famous rebels. Just as I'm about to say something, Ryder is looking away from me. He's just looking at his hands that seem to be mindlessly fumbling the beer. 

     I got a clear look at his eyes. He was here, but his mind was far away already. 'He's drowning too' I thought. I brushed off the thought and let out a heavy sigh. I know nothing about him aside from the rumors and here I was romanticizing him to be a 'tough guy with soft spots'. I moved to take the spot next to him. I wanted to know more. "I'll forgive you for being rude if you tell me what's ruining your night?"

        I saw the light come back to his eyes and he gave me a sly half-smile. "So it's a 'I'll show mine if you show me yours' kind of deal? Fine, but you go first." I jerk my head back in shock. 

       "N- no, that's not what I said-" He turned to rest his chin in his propped-up hand. "You were crying first. It's only right for you to start." I shook my head, letting a small smile slip. I couldn't believe I was letting him bully me into talking first. "You'll feel better.. I promise."