Chapter 39 - Confusing

When you're busy, time flies. It's not only the work at Tachibana Productions but also at home. Father is getting better so I make sure to keep him up to date. Every night after dinner, we go to his studio and have small meetings over green tea. Because I have this responsibility at home, I can't stay overnight in the office, no matter what. But I don't really mind, because Father is recovering even faster than before.

"I could've gone back to work sooner," he says one day as we take a stroll in Grandma's garden. "But I thought you had to finish this on your own. Yet now you're entering the last stage in the production, so it's okay for me to step in."

"I could've used your help, though," I murmur, thinking of how different things would've been with Father around.

"But you wouldn't have grown so much," he refutes. "You've become such a beautiful and wonderful woman. And you did it on your own. That is even more praise worthy."

"What if I had ruined it all?" I ask one of the things that has tormented me the most.

"I think you still misunderstand me, Ann. You are far more important than the company. If ruining one production was the price to help you growing up, then it would've been a cheap price to pay."

Maybe it's because Father sees me as an adult now, because he doesn't feel that need to shelter me like when I was a kid, now he is telling me things. He believes I can handle decisions now, and that has torn down a giant wall between us. Still, even if he's been doing this for a few months already, it still is overwhelming every time he makes me know how dear I am to him.

However, this isn't something I can get used to, because if I do, then it means I'm taking it for granted. I want my father's words to always mean the world to me.

"Then I guess we're lucky my coming of age wasn't that expensive," I try to joke and Father chuckles lightheartedly.

"We're lucky indeed." He smiles brightly, his eyes always looking ahead of us. "Now that the promotion stage is coming you need to be even more prepared for the criticism. But don't worry, I'll be next to you."

That is true, now the promotion part is coming. According to the contracts, the actors need to come back to start the interviews, talk show appearances, conferences, and more. All in preparation for the big premiere, firstly in London and then in other five countries we've chosen.

And on a completely personal note, it means Gareth has to come back and I have to deal with him.

I'm doing better, or I think I am. Maybe it's just because I haven't had time to focus on my own broken heart. I can't tell I got over him and I magically forgot about him. My heart still longs for him and I miss him terribly, but getting over those feelings will take a long way. I'm not delusional to think that if I work hard I'll speed up the process, but I stay hopeful. My only wish is that for when we have to see each other again I can keep myself together and don't make it uncomfortable for the two of us.

A few days before we officially start with the promotion work, I receive a call from Japan, which surprises me a lot. I've been having video conferences with businesspeople in Japan, because Tachibana Productions also has a small broadcast station there, so I've been trying to reach out to them and understand that branch. I've even talked to father about going there for a year or so to learn more about the business. An internship of some sort.

Regardless of that, if any of the people from that broadcast station called, they wouldn't do it to my personal mobile number. But I pick up in case it is still someone important.

"Moshi moshi?" I answer in Japanese, expecting someone to reply in the same language.

I'm surprised when I hear a familiar voice I've missed way too much calling my name, "Ann."