Chapter 3 - Who Could Be

The book is incredible. It had never happened to me but I couldn't let it go. Once I started reading, I was hooked. Seeing a futuristic world from Lana's point of view was amazing. She's such a calm character, like water, but she can also be a storm and be quite dangerous. I loved seeing her grow, evolve and discover her own limits. I loved seeing her become stronger and be a hero.

There were many cliché, typical of any dystopia. Although I do appreciate, as Ella said, that it wasn't set in the United States, that they were very aware of what caused the doom of previous civilisation and actually remember it to avoid making the same mistakes. It has such a strong message to raise environmental awareness, being one with nature, respecting it, giving back. I also love that the main character isn't sixteen for once in a while.

Lana is a very observant character and it makes her perfect for the first book, because from what I know, the second is from Rony's Point of view, a character that is introduced in the first and is friends with Lana and of course, Sasha. The romance is there but it is not essential and they don't even end up together in the first book, keeping the tension for later which is amazing, I think.

I just loved it. All of it. And I need to talk to someone!

I finished the book at three in the morning. I'm a slow reader as I don't have practice, but I still wake up early and rush to the bookshop. Sadly, Ella is not in the shop and the owner tells me she has morning classes and I could find her later.

I go to work but I'm on my toes the whole day, dying to talk about the book with someone. Is this how readers feel? It's exciting but also exhausting. It's so much more than watching films because I'm hours invested in the story, imagining everything in my mind, so many details that can't be in a film and I can close the book, scream against my pillow and then continue reading without missing anything. The book waits for me even when I look away because there was some noise.

Oh boy, I can't believe I've been missing this for so long.

"Miss Tachibana, are you all right?"Teru asks me when he notices me spacing out in the office.

Father's office is big, clean and sterile. The biggest and most notorious thing is the wall covered in books. Father keeps them all here, where they belong because they are his work.

"Teru-kun,"I call him. "How many times have I asked you not call me Miss Tachibana? you've known me since I was in my nappy."

"My apologies, Mis-Mulan-Ann."I finally smile and nod when he refers to me properly. I really dislike when people call me by my name.

I chuckle at my own silliness. Teru has worked alongside Father since he started the company and he is almost like an uncle to me, but Teru is too professional at work. If there's someone who can put personal life and work apart, that is Teru. Teru is also ten years younger than Father, same monolid eyes with a severe expression, but his brown eyes are kind and generous, also loyal and wise. Contrary to my father, Teru wasn't born in England, he moved when he was ten with his family so he has a bit of an accent that is more evident when he is stressed. I trust him more than anyone else in this company, but I also know he is aware I'm not ready to be here, taking such responsibility and he wants Father to come back.

"I'm fine, just thinking of the book and exactly how it would be better. It is such a rich book and the landscape is crucial. Also the characters. We need to cast the perfect actors for the three main characters. People who can really capture the essence of these,"I ramble, going in my mind over all the characteristics provided by the writer about the characters, and then thinking of which actors could be good for the part so we can send them the script and try to get them interested in auditioning. "Have you read the book, Teru-kun?"I question him.