Chapter 37 - Worth It

Before we say our goodbyes and part ways again, after profusely thanking both Terry and Gareth for their support and cooperation, the actor grabs my wrist, stopping me from taking another step next to Teru. I turn to look at him over my shoulder, barely catching the desperate glimpse in his eyes before these turn ice cold.

"Ann, can we talk?" he says, his voice doesn't give anything away. I can't tell whether it's important or irrelevant, whether it's about what happened between us or about the weather.

"Now?" I ask back, not because I don't have time right now, but it doesn't seem like the right time to have any kind of conversation. I'm exhausted and I honestly just want to go to Father and tell him I did it, that I'm not that hopeless as he or anyone else might think.

"Can't you?" His eyebrows rise a bit, but I'm not sure how to read that, whether he's challenging me or just pleading.

I think the fact I fail at reading him, when a few weeks back it would've been so easy knowing exactly what he wanted to say, is due to me being so exhausted after what I did. It wasn't the hardest thing ever, it wasn't a war or saving the country, but I was so nervous and anxious that after finishing it I was left just drained.

I turn to look at Teru who nods almost imperceptibly. "Let me tell Otousan," I request of him. "It won't take long, I presume."

"I'll be at the office. Call me when you're ready and I'll come with Aaron to pick you up and take you to the hospital. You did well today, Ann-chan," he says, his smile kind and warm. I bow to him and he does the same, that's our farewell for now.

I watch as Teru walks away, feeling so proud of myself for getting his praise. Teru is a man of few words, and he never gives compliments unless someone deserves them. Even if I'm like family to him, he wouldn't lie and say something farfetched just to make me feel better. Even if it's a simple 'you did well,' it means a lot coming from Teru.

When I turn to face Gareth again I feel my guts tensing. I don't know what to expect and at the same time I'm too scared to expect anything at all, but then my heart races when he looks at me as my head fights so hard to push back the memories of that night.

"I think there's a cafe in the building, so it's safe if we go there. No one will mind if they see us talking," Gareth comments and I just nod.

I end up following him because I have no idea where this said café is, or when Gareth saw it, but I just let him take the lead. We don't say anything, which I think is worse because it only makes me more anxious. I start wondering what he wants to talk about. It can't be important, it's not like he wanted to talk to me or needed to, he is just using this chance as we've seen each other again. Regarding that kiss we shared, his answer was silent but loud enough for my heart to hear.

The building indeed has its own café where only other employees are, having late lunch or just a coffee as they go over papers and more work. We sit at a small table for two at a far away corner, or at least I sit after Gareth pulls the chair for me.

"I'll go get us something to drink and I'll be back," he informs. Nodding is all I can give him as a reply before he leaves me there, feeling too awkward on my own.

He comes back soon, though, carrying a skinny latte for him and green tea for me.

"It might not be good, but I assumed you've have enough caffeine for a lifetime," he points out, handing me my cup with a faint smile on his lips.

"Most certainly. I haven't slept in like four days or so," I reply. "Not sure. Time is kind of blurry in my head."

"You've worked hard to fix this. What exactly happened?" he asks, just making small talk I realise.