XIX- Bonding time.

Start from the beginning

Clarke desperately hoped Raven was right.

***

Carter scowled deeper at the hissing come from the radio. She had already taken it apart to make sure it wasn't broken, but she couldn't find anything in Rae's quarters to boost the signal, so she was stuck listening to white noise until Rae got back. She was getting food from the mess hall or something, Carter wasn't really paying attention.

She needed to contact the camp, let them know she was still alive and inside Mount Weather. She wanted to know if they had heard anything from Bellamy, if he was still alive and if so, where he was. She wanted to hear the voices of all her friends again.

But no. Just white noise.

She groaned loudly and threw her head back in frustration. Jasper and the rest of her friends were right there. Right down that hall. But she was under strict house arrest, according to a certain red head.

Carter scoffed and rolled her eyes, since when did she listen to orders, anyway? She kicked her feet off the splintered coffee table and stood up, ready to make a break for it when the clicking of the door lock resounded throughout the room. Faster than her brain could allow, she quickly threw herself back down on the couch and her legs slammed against the table as she tried to look as casual as possible. Like she wasn't just about to leave.

"Honey, I'm home!" Rae snickered as she made her way to where Carter was sat, her arms were bundled with all sorts of foreign foods Carter hadn't seen before. She ungraciously unloaded the food onto the table before staring at Carter, the humor she held previously had died down and was instead was replaced with a more sober look. "So considering we're gonna be partner's in crime now-- because there's absolutely no way I'm letting have fun sneaking around this place without me-- there's something I should tell you."

Carter's lips flickered in the shadow of a smile. She had hoped Rae would stick around to help her since it was quite evident that Carter wasn't the best person at planning things, but she didn't want to ask the girl, it would have been more than a lot to ask of her after she had done so much already. "Go on." Carter insisted.

"Well, uh, how do I put this without being blunt?" Rae bit her lip. "I'm... A fugitive."

"What?" Carter drawled slowly, narrowing her eyes in confusion. Funny, she could have sworn she heard Rae say she was a fugitive, a criminal...

"I'm a criminal in hiding," Rae amended, the innocent smile on her face was an oxymoron to the worlds she spoke. "This apartment, isn't my home, it's empty, and I've been squating here for the past four weeks."

"Why?" Carter blinker several times, completely overwhelmed by confusion.

"It's a long story." Rae shrugged, leaning further back on the couch. It amazed Carter at how nonchalant she was acting.

"We've got all night." The engineer retorted, nudging her head towards the Radio which was still hissing.

"Okay, so basically, there are two groups in Mount Weather," Rae began, rather reluctantly. "You have the assholes and then you have the decent people. Well, the assholes are actually pretty much all in power, which means they can tell the decent people what to do and if they didn't comply, then they were tried and usually executed." 

"Sounds a bit like the Ark." Carter mused.

"I think being an asshole is the price of power. Anyway, my parents were on the decent people's side once they found out that the head doctor had authorized blood transfusions to help cure sick people."

"I fail to see what's so wrong about that." Carter stated with pursed lips.

"Quit interrupting me and we'll get there," Rae rolled her eyes. "These blood transfusions were from Outsiders. The blood that was making us better was killing them. The head doctor thought it would be a good idea to take Outsider's away from their homes and drain them of their blood just so we could live to see another day. My parents weren't okay with this. So they started a protest outside the infirmary, I was only about seven at the time, but I remember it so clearly..." Her voice trailed off as though she was reliving the memory. "My dad and a few others were shouting loudly when the guards came, telling them that they're animals for taking blood that kills another, and the next thing they knew," She closed one eye and made a gun with her hand before murmuring 'pow' under her breath. "All of them were shot dead, the guards said that they were holding dangerous weapons and looked ready to attack, the security feed was burned so they didn't look like the murderers they were."