III. The life and death of Steven St. Brown.

BONJOURNO! 

I have made this adorable little filler chapter for you to devour until the next chapter where shit shall go down :)

The sylish cover that is around here somewhere is done by none other than Wxckedly, I love it and I love her, it's amazing!  Thank you :)

Enjoy!

Bold= Swedish.

C H A P T E R    III

Steven Brown was born and raised in the Agro Station of the Ark. His parents, Janine and Patrick Brown, worked with agricultural produce, ultimately meaning that their son learned a great deal about what was deemed edible and what was not.

It also meant they knew how to grow and maintain other stuff.

Steven was eight years old when he accidentally stumbled across his parents' illegal 'herb' garden that grew in secret under the floor of their quarters. When he asked what it was for, his father told him it was to help them make a living. He traded the 'herbs' for rations, thus his son never went hungry. Steven promised to never tell anyone about their side-business and even helped when his parents were busy.

But one day, when he was just thirteen, there was a surprise inspection. Everything would have gone smoothly, had the floor board covering his parent's stuff been put back in the right place. Just as the guards were leaving, one tripped over the elevated floor board, which lead to Steven's parents almost getting arrested.

"Wait!" Steven protested as the head guard began to shove his father towards the door. He stopped and turned to face the little boy with shaggy brown hair that threatened to obstruct his eyesight.

"What, kid?" He asked, somewhat impatiently.

"Please, don't take them." Steven pleaded, his eyes began to water. "Take me, it's my stuff, not theirs."

"Steven, no!" Janine whimpered, pushing herself out of the guard's grip and ran towards her son, embracing him in a tight hug. "What do you think you're doing?" She whispered.

"I'm going to make this all better, mom. They will put me in the Skybox for five years and then I'll get reviewed. I'll come back to you and dad, I promise." Steven told her in a low voice, hugging her back.

"It's too dangerous, Steve. I won't let you do that." Janine sobbed, scrunching her eyes shut as they pooled with tears.

"And I won't let you and dad get floated."  Steven's voice was high with emotion. With a sad smile, he pushed himself away from with hysterical mother and walked up to the guard that still held onto his dumbfounded father, his hands out in front of him ready to be cuffed. "It was me."

"N-no, don't listen to him! It was me!" Patrick suddenly found his voice and stared at the guard insistently. "Just leave my son alone!"

"Dad, you don't have to do this," Steven shook his head. "I know you're just trying to protect me, but I've got to be punished for my crime. You and mom both warned me but I didn't listen and now, I'll pay the price."

The guard bought it, and soon after Steven was arrested, where he spent two years pacing the length of a small cell in complete solitude. His parents visited him when they could, but they also worked a lot, too. Steven didn't mind, as long as he knew his parents were safe, that's all that mattered.

Being a boy that got freaked out by a lot of things, Steven was surprisingly more excited to part of the Hundred sent to earth than he was scared. He took it all as a joke at first, he made friends and his sole purpose was to have fun and live simply. But then on that day Jasper and Carter came back injured and on the verge of death, reality struck him hard and he began to embrace his responsibilities rather than ignore them. He got himself a post on the wall and he took it seriously.