0.1 - Centuries

{Calix}

-
-
-
-
-

I turned on my phone and plugged in my headphones.

I put in my earbuds, turning my volume up so the music was almost as loud as possible.

Clicking the shuffle button, I brace myself for what's coming.

"Some legends are told, some turn to dust or to gold, but you will remember me, remember me for centuries...."

I breathe a sigh of relief. Today was going to be a good day.

I flop my body onto my bed and press the Twitter icon on my home screen. I mindlessly scroll through my feed, favoriting everything, even though I don't bother to read most of the tweets. I do the same with Instagram and Tumblr and all my other social medias.

I close out of the apps and open my music again, just as the song ends. I didn't have many notifications, so it didn't take long to check them all.

"...will remember me, remember me for centuries...."

I click the pause button before the next song can reveal itself. I love music, but sometimes it's dangerous me to listen to more than one song a day.

I wished I could listen to more, but that would be risky for a girl like me.

Not like there's any other girls like me in this world.

I get off of my bed, set my phone down on my bedside table, and begin to walk down the steps and into the living room.

I ruffle my hair as I walk down the stairs. My pixie cut fluffs out a bit, falling just how I like it.

I walk into the kitchen, where my mom is cooking pancakes. The aroma of butter hit me as I walked in.

"Yo," my mom greets me. "What's up, Cal?"

I laugh out of exhaustion and sit at the dinner table, picking at my black nail polish.

"Don't try to act cool, Mom."

"Ugh, fine," she says, giving up in an over-dramatic way.

My mother was and always had been a beautiful, young person. Wavy hair, flawless skin, skinny and curvy, and bright blue eyes that had been passed down to me.

"Calix," my mom states. "What song came on today?"

"Centuries, Fall Out Boy," I tell her. "It's a happy song, about achieving a goal that everyone will remember you for."

"Oh! That's great!" my mom says excitedly. "You'll do something amazing today, I just know it!"

I smile in response.

My mom knows about my music. She knows that whatever song just so happens to come on shuffle will change the course of my life.

"What day is it, again, honey?" my mom asks, flipping a pancake.

"October twenty-ninth. Two days until Halloween," I remind her, standing up from my seat and grabbing an apple from the refrigerator.

"Agh, silly me," she replies. "How could I forget?"

"Exactly what I'm wondering," I tell her, taking a bite straight out of my apple.

"So, what are you going to be this year?"

"Huh?"

"For Halloween?"

"You mean what am I going to dress up as?"