Chapter 4: Bittersweet Farewells Pt. 2

Start bij het begin

She sighs, her tail flicking. "I did too."

Bill's kind face creases slightly, looking down at her with deep concern resonating in his eyes.

"I told your father I'd protect you," he says. "I'll still try. I'll be sure to sponsor you."

"Thanks Bill." She smiles weakly, trying to keep her fur from bristling with fear. "I'll miss you."

He engulfs her in another tight hug. "I'll miss you too, sweet girl."

He pecks her forehead just as the Peacekeeper comes in a takes him out. Piper pokes her head out and calls one last goodbye to him before he's gone from her sight.

Persia glances at the cat girl fleetingly, returning to tying a shoelace into little knots as she waits for the guards to bring them away from here.

----------

Elsie sighs in relief as her dad, Jonas, and twin older brothers enter the room. Her father instantly hugs her, his body shaking.

"I'm so sorry, Els," he murmurs. "It shouldn't have been you."

"Try to win, okay?" Kyle, the first twin, asks, moving closer to her and flashing a thumbs up with his paw.

"Use the skills we showed you," Cayson adds in, smirking lightly as his tail flicks. "We showed our little sister the ropes, you've got to show us that you know them.

She laughs a little as he noogies her head, her tail wagging. Jonas sighs, forcing a weak smile as he looks into her mismatched eyes.

"I love you," he says honestly, kissing her furry forehead.

"Love you too, dad," she returns.

The family has one more group hug before the Peacekeepers return and take them away. Annalise notices the family of foxes leaving, her mother falling in step beside them as she's led out.

Elsie looks at the blonde and waves her paw. "Hi!"

Annalise smiles a little and returns it. "Hi."

----------

Michelangelo bounces nervously from foot to foot, listening against the door for Swift. He can hear her pacing the halls, her lizard tail swishing and her claws clicking together. He rests a hand over his racing heart, cringing at the thought of having to spend the next while in the same room as someone so intimidating.

Suddenly, lumbering footsteps are heard. Michelangelo's door opens, a weathered snout peeking inside.

"Michelangelo?" a gravelly voice asks.

The orange-masked turtle's face lights up as Leatherhead moves the rest of the way into the room. He engulfs the alligator in a tight hug, looking quite small against his scaly chest.

"Hey buddy," he whispers, glad to have his friend's comfort.

"I wish it weren't true, my friend," Leatherhead says forlornly as he gazes into the turtle's bright blue eyes.

Michelangelo manages to smile, his eyes feeling itchy from held back tears. "I do too, LH, but it happened." He wipes his eyes. "Will you serve pizza shaped like my face at my funeral?"

The alligator's wizened eyes grow noticeably more sorrowful at the thought, but he still nods. "I will, but only if the need is there. I have faith in you."

The turtle hugs his friend again, trying to hold on to what the warmth of the embrace feels like for the little bit he has left.

----------

Yumiko and Sofie wait in separate rooms, awaiting their families to be allowed in. Yumiko's door jiggles first, her mother and six-year-old brother running inside. Her uncle hobbles in after them rather slowly, his skin etched with scars and his eyes distant.

"Oh honey, this is awful," her mother gushes sadly, embracing her daughter. "Fight hard, okay? We'll support you from here."

"Yumi," her brother coos, hugging her legs. "I want you to be safe."

The turtle girl hugs her little brother gently, choosing to remain silent. She isn't going to promise anything, she isn't going to tell them that she'll win. She's just going to say goodbye.

"I'll miss you," she whispers.

"We'll miss you too, Yumiko," her mother says gently as she hugs her daughter once more.

The Peacekeeper arrives again, ready to lead the out. Her mother and brother leave first, her uncle still watching her. A small smile falls across his face, making him look peaceful. He hasn't looked that way since the damage to his psyche.

"Good luck, Yumiko," he murmurs, leaving the room.

Sofie, who'd watched the whole exchange from her own room, smiles weakly. Her own parents, Amy and Quinn, had just left.

The tributes are truly alone now.