Chapter 4

A few months passed and Dan was still staying over with Phil. As much as Dan insisted that he will be already Phil didn't believe it. He had even bought Dan new clothes and set up the guest room nicely for him, decorating it so Dan will like it and feel more comfortable.

"Phil I don't feel right, I can't even pay you back for all this.." Dan sighed looking down during breakfast.

"I don't expect you to pay me back you know, how many times do I have to say I want to do this?" Phil smiled shaking his head. He got up and grabbed his things all ready for work. "I'll be back during my usual time, call me if you need anything alright?"

"Alright.." Dan nodded. He was used to this routine now, Phil would go to work early and Dan would be alone for a few hours. During that time he would usually just watch TV to pass his time until Phil came back. Today Dan wanted to do something, he wanted to get Phil something to thank him for everything he had done for Dan over the last few months. He looked in his old jeans pocket finding the little money he had, it wasn't much but it was just enough to buy Phil a little present hoping it would show how grateful he was and how much he appreciated him.

Dan grabbed the jacket Phil had bought for him and left. He didn't really leave the place alone, he was always with Phil, he felt safer that way. But today he was willing to step out alone, if Phil could do so much for him these last few months, this is the least he can do for Phil. He walked into the store looking around to see what he could afford with the little money he had. All he could get was a scarf, so he picked out a nice green one. He asked the cashier to wrap it for him, she smiled politely and wrapped it.

"Is it for someone special?" She asked.

"Kind of, he's special to me but I don't think he thinks of me in that way.." Dan said looking down.

"Well you don't know that for sure." She smiled handing Dan the bag. "Good luck."

Dan thanked the girl and made his way back home. He made a huge mistake, he wanted to get home quickly so he took the shortcut from the bridge where lived under months ago. He thought maybe it would've been safe now, but he was wrong.

"Howell, long time no see." A familiar, bitter voice said grabbing his arm. His old pimp.

"W-what are y-you doing here.." Dan asked with a shaky voice. He dropped the bag as he was pushed really hard.

"The real question is where the fuck have you been?" He asked harshly.

"I'm done with this life,I don't want it anymore." Dan answered bsck trying to sound brave but failed.

"Well you know what happens to people who go against me don't you?" He smirked walking up to Dan kicking him hard in the stomach.

***

Phil sighed to himself, it was a slow day today there wasn't much to do. He was considering taking the rest of the day off and spending it with Dan who was probably as bored as him right now. He got up but was stopped by his boss.

"There has been reports of a boy getting attacked by a man. I need you and a couple other men to head down there and see."

Phil nodded doing as he's told hoping that maybe after this he can go home to Dan. Phil and his partner,along with two other cops drove to the place. The bridge where Dan used to live. Phil got out of the holding his gun out. The others following his action pointing it towards the man hitting the boy on the ground.Phil was shocked when he noticed that it was Dan.

"Hands up where we can see them now." Phil shouted. The man stopped and did as he was told, there was just one of them he wouldn't be able to fight off four officers. Phil nodded towards the other officers who walked up to the man and handcuffed him taking him to the their car.

Phil put his gun back and ran over to Dan who was curled up and sobbing.

"Dan its me, you're safe now." Phil whispered helping him up.

"Is he gone?" He asked sobbing, holding onto Phil.

"He is, he's going to be locked up for a while." Phil assured him. "Come on let's go home."

Dan nodded holding onto Phil's hand. He remembered to pick up the bag with the scarf for Phil. When they got home Phil brought out a blanket putting it around Dan turning the heat on.

"You're not too hurt are you? Do you need to get checked?" Phil asked.

"I'll be fine.." Dan said looking down.

"Dan, why did you go outside alone? You knew it wasn't safe while he was still around.."

"I-I just wanted to get you something.." Dan whispered. He handed the bag to Phil looking down, afraid to see Phil's reaction.

Phil opened the bag and unwrapped the present revealing a nice scarf. He couldn't help but smile. "You got this for me?"

Dan nodded, "I wanted to show you how much I appreciate you and your kindness. You've done so much for me.."

"Dan,I love it. Thank you." Phil smiled, he placed his hand on Dan's cheek and kissed his forehead.

Dan felt his cheeks turn pink, he looked up at Phil, their faces only inches apart. It took everything in him to build up the courage and make a move, he took Phil's hand in his own and leaned in and pressed a soft kiss on his lips. He expected Phil to pull away disgusted but instead Phil just pulled him closer and kissed him back more passionately. He had kissed many men, but no one felt this right or good. Phil was perfect, he was everything Dan had wanted.