part three

I laid on my bed in a comatose state. My mind was blank as my mood fluctuated between a mixture between anger and sadness. I stared ahead at the ceiling above me as I listened to the sound of the air conditioning humming through my room. I was surrounded by complete darkness, evident of how I was feeling. I couldn't be bothered to turn the lights on. Not that I wanted too in the first place. My parents left for their date night which I was grateful for. I could wallow in self-pity in freedom without them questioning what was wrong.

  I frowned as I heard stomping footsteps running up the stairs. Being all alone at home, in the creepy state of my room, had my heart racing in fright as I hid under the blankets. Is it a ghost? An intruder!?

  I froze as I heard the door handle jiggle just before the door flew open "Surprise!" I heard Eleanor's cheery voice fill the room.

  I threw the covers back as I sat up. I glared ahead as Eleanor, Max, Christian, and Nick shuffled into my room. Clutching bags in hand.

  "I fucking hate you guys! You scared me half to death." I said as I clutched at my chest.

  "We didn't come here to scare you. We came to cheer you up!" Eleanor said.

  "Well, you're not doing a good job." I spoke dryly.

  'We'll change that." Max lifted a bag up. "We come baring alcohol and snacks."

  "How did you guys get in here anyways? My mom always locks the door when she leaves."

  "I called your mom and told her we were coming over. She left the door unlocked for us." Nick said as he sat down on my bed.

  I watched in confusion as they all made themselves at home in my room. What was going on? I feel like they just stormed into here in a matter of seconds and dropped a heavy bomb on me. As they spoke to one another, that feelings quickly dissipated as a small smile played at my lips. These guys were the best.

  We've been friends since I first moved here. They were a bit of an unorthodox group when I met them. I couldn't believe they were friends. They all looked like they belonged to different 'clicks' but they fit right in with each other despite that. They accepted me with open arms when I first moved here. Integrating me into their little friend group. I felt like I've known them my whole lives. They were exactly what I needed to bounce back to myself after everything that happened to me before I moved here.

***

  I was sitting on the ground, leaning against my bed as I watched my friends before me. Eleanor was sitting in the middle of the room while Nick sat on a beanie chair with Christian leaned against it.

  We've been drinking for three hours now. It was just what I needed to rid myself of my thoughts and feelings. I finally felt myself relax since I entered the forest as we listened to music and joked around. It was fun.

  "Guy, this is our last summer before we go off to college. We need to do something. Something memorable! We spent the past eighteen years going to school every day and camping through summer break...let's face it - our lives suck. "Nick grumbled as his blonde hair covered his hazel eyes as he sat slouched backwards.

  "I know right!" Eleanor hastily agreed with a head nod as her bright red hair bounced in place from the messy pony tail done up.

  Max quickly spoke up from where he sat at the desk, lazily browsing the internet. "For real!" He hollered as he spun around in the chair and stood up. "All we ever did was steal our parents cars and drove around town listening to old school music or gone to some shitty ass house parties...totally amateur and cliché. Which by the way, isn't even fun anymore. We're eighteen! We're legal adults! We can drink and have our own cars now. There's no dangerous trill anymore."