15

When Kyouko Kirigiri opened her eyes, she found herself at the infirmary.

The scene outside the window portrayed nightfall. It seemed that at some point the day had reached evening.

As Kyouko slowly rose out of her bed,

"Look's like you're awake."

A man's voice could be coming from the window. It belonged to Hope's Peak Academy's Principal, Jin Kirigiri.

"You were completely knocked out. Has work finally caught up to you?"

"How...long have I been asleep?"

"You wouldn't stay put so I had the school physician give you some medicine. It should still be in effect so things may still be a bit hazy. You should probably just relax for now..."

Her consciousness and sensations were certainly still a bit dim. Following orders from him was frustrating but, there isn't much one can do against the effects of medicine. With no other choice, Kyouko laid back down on the bed.

And then she remembered.

She remembered the moment when Mukuro Ikusaba came to assist her.

Being cornered by the Madarai brothers, she appeared at just the right time and saved her.

But, why did she save her? Sure, there were classmates but, there were hardly any occasions of social interaction between them.

Putting that outside however, there was a more pressing issue at hand.

The girl that was with her when attacked by the Madarai brothers, Junko Enoshima, what happened to her?

She tackled that question in her mind in a very Kirigiri-like manner.

Then,

"...It appears that she was rescued by Ikusaba-kun as well. I'll save you the trouble of overthinking things...she's being temporarily hospitalized at one of the medical facilities in the teaching staff faculty building. Although the silver lining is well...how would I say this...due to the shock from that incident, it seems that she's recovered her memory."

"Memory...?"

"She'll soon return to her regular school schedule. But, it seems that she doesn't remember anything from when she lost her memory. Because that, there have been numerous confusing issues going on...and everyone has been taking care of her."

"I see..."

A classmate returning to class should have been a joyous occasion, but something didn't feel right.

Like something was being overdone.

"Also...there's something important I have to discuss with you."

His following words then completely brushed off Kyouko's doubt.

"...I'll be closing the investigation request on Izuru Kamukura."

"Eh...?"

Kyouko immediately rose up from the sudden report.

"...Why all of a sudden?"

Her question was one of urgency.

"Sorry but, I can't really talk about that."

"W-What are you-"

"Ok fine, I wasn't satisfied with the contents of your work...how does that work for you?"

Recognizing his lack of acknowledgement, Kyouko scrunched her eyebrows in inquisitiveness.