Especially For You

I hated my sister.

Ever since she came into this world, mom and dad fixed their eyes only at her. What's so special about her anyway? She's too clumsy and naive...and annoying! She wouldn't stop pulling my hair even when I told her to stop. Most of the time, people feel happy whenever a new member of the family arrive. But not me.

I hated her.

Mom and dad always scolded me whenever something bad happened to her---like falling down the stairs and sorts.

I hated her curly hair, her sweet smile, her blue scarf, and her happy-go-lucky nature... Everything! She always get the good stuff.

Oh, I hated her so much!

My friends in school admired her for the way she dress and look. I mean, who wouldn't? When you're always wearing a cute scarf around your neck, you know you'd stand out against other girls your age. Even to your own sister!

We walked home after school one afternoon. Something was off. Usually she would keep on talking non-stop or even beg to hold hands while walking, but now... She seemed a little too quiet. She was walking behind me with her head down and her arms on her stomach. We arrived home a few minutes later. She immediately walked up her room without uttering a single word.

"Ah, you're here!" Mom said from the kitchen. I dropped my bag on the couch and helped her make dinner. "Thank you, dear." she said. "I'm making your favorite."

Suddenly, the phone rang. Mom hurried to answer it. I was chopping the potatoes when I heard she mentioned Rylai's name and school. Something is definitely wrong, I thought. Mom hung up and went back to the kitchen.

Rylai went down the dinning room, just in time for dinner. She only ate a little, talked a little, then went back up. I helped mom with the dishes and asked her, "Why did the school call?"

"It's about the Foundation Day. Your sister and some other girls were selected to make a presentation for the upcoming event."

"That's great." I said, pretending to feel happy about it.

"Why don't you congratulate her? Try talking to her. Softly this time."

"I'll try."

Mom smooched my cheeks before I went up the stairs. I stopped outside Rylai's room. I raised my hand ready to knock on the door, then I remembered... I hated her. I shook my head and went to my room.

Nothing changed for the next few days. She was still quiet. One day, right after class, I waited at the school gate for her. The other girls from practice had already headed home an hour ago. It was already forty-five minutes past five in the afternoon. I decided to go to her classroom, but to my surprise, it was empty. Where could she be? I thought. Then I noticed her bag was still on her desk. I picked it up then went outside to look for her again. I happened to pass by the girls' restroom when I heard someone crying. I stepped in and saw my little sister sitting on the tiled floor crying her eyes out, her skin covered with bruises. I dropped our bags and rushed towards her.

"What happened? Who did this to you?!" I exclaimed.

"T-They...took my s-s-s-scarf." she stuttered.

"Who? Tell me who did this to you?!" I shook her. "Tell me!"

"T-The two upper classmen. T-They..." she hiccuped and sobbed.

"Where are they? Where'd they go?"

"I-In the basketball court."

"I see. Can you stand up?"

She nodded. I helped her as we slowly walked down the halls and to one of the benches near the school gate. I told her to sit and wait for me.

"Where are you going?" she asked.

I smiled. "I'm going to wet my towel. Stay there, okay? Keep an eye out for our things. Don't leave your spot."

She nodded slowly then sat on the bench. I ran as fast as I could until I reached the basketball court. I saw the two upper classmen she was talking about. Rage took over me. I walked towards them and had it my way. Not a moment had passed, and I was back at the bench with my wet towel. I gently wiped it on Rylai's face, arms, and legs. It was getting late. Mom was probably worried by then.

Before leaving, Rylai requested a piggyback ride since the bruises on her legs made it difficult for her to walk any further. So I carried her on my back on our way home. It was already twenty minutes past six. I stopped at the red light when her stomach began to growl.

"Hungry?" I asked.

"Mm-hmm." she nodded.

"Don't worry, we're almost home."

I continued walking until a question popped out of my mind. "Do you really like that scarf?" I asked her out of nowhere. "You know, mom and I could buy you a new one."

"That scarf was very precious to me." she said. "You can't buy anything like it because, you made it especially for me."

I stopped. "I... I did?"

"Mm-hmm. Back when you were still in grade school."

Long lost memories flooded back to my head. Both happy and sad. "Well then," I said as I continued walking. "Looks like I'm going to have to make you a new one."

"Really?"

"Yep. I'll make you as many scarves as you like."

"Promise?"

"Yeah. I promise."

When we arrived home, mom was very surprised and upset. "Lina, Rylai! Where have you been?! What happened to Rylai?!" Yep, she was very upset...and mad at me at the same time. The school called the next day. It was complaints coming from Rylai's two upperclassmen. We got suspended for a week, and after what I did to them, they didn't dared to touch even a single strand of hair from Rylai ever again.

I hated my sister. She's very clumsy and naive, sometimes very annoying. I hated her curly hair, her sweet smile, her blue scarf, and her happy-go-lucky nature... And that's what I love about her.

~The End...

A/N: Hey guys! Sorry for being away for so long. I'm very busy at work and I'm having a hard time writing and publishing my stories here. But don't worry! Like what my mother used to say, there's always time for everything. Eventually, the right time will come for me to publish my works here. See you guys and gals soon! \(^o^ )