Seventeen: In Which He Discovers That She's Just Full Of Surprises

Start from the beginning

    Sweet baby Jesus. This boy doesn't know when to shut up.

    "Okay... just hold on," I say, trying to digest the slur of words that just came out from his mouth. "So you're Blaire's brother."

    "Is that the only thing you got from that?" He laughs. "Wow. My sister's working for a complete idiot."

    "What did you just call me?" I glare at him. "Listen, boy—"

    "My name is Eden."

    "—Whatever." I roll my eyes. "Your sister's not here. She didn't come home last night. I have no idea where she went so I don't know how to help you."

    Eden's face scrunches up in confusion. "So my sister didn't come back home and you're not the least bit worried about where she went?"

    I blink.

    Shit.

    "I'm sure... I'm sure she's fine," I say flatly, when inside, my heart is slamming against my ribcage so hard it's threatening to tear me in half. Shit shit shit. Holy fuck, what if last night's plan failed and Mr. Jenkins called the police and she's in jail right now—

    My phone rings from my pocket and I'm so fucking happy it's Blaire.  I slam my finger down on the answer button, relief flooding back to me.

    "You're alive," I breathe.

    "Why does everyone expect the worst out of me?" She snaps.

    "Where the hell have you been?" I try to avoid the vulgar language, seeing as how I have a kid listening eagerly to every word I utter right now.

    "I spent the night at Ben's house," she murmurs.

    Jealously slams into my chest and I clench my fist. I feel a muscle pop in my jaw.

    "Oh, that can't be good." Eden whispers, pointing to my face.

I ignore him and hold the phone tighter.

    "You didn't think to tell me where you were going?" I seethe. "I thought you were..."

    "Dead? Yeah I know. But I'm alive. Breathing. Not behind bars too. Yay me," she deadpans. "Don't worry about me. I'm on my way back."

    "Yeah... about that," I eye Eden. "Your brother is here."

    "What?" The sharpness in her voice prickles my ears. "What on earth is he doing there?"

    "No idea. Something about... adoptive mom and... house and..." My voice trails off. "I don't know. He explained it to me but he was rambling and I tuned out somewhere. The point is, you need to get here right now." I turn away from the boy and this time whispering the words, "I have absolutely no clue how to handle him."

    "I seriously do not have time to lecture you on how to take care of kids," she groans. "Jax, just let him in. Keep him busy. I'm almost there."

    "Fine," I snap. "Get here fast."

    When she hangs up on me, I slip the phone back into my pocket and turn to Eden, who's staring expectantly at me.

    "So... you wanna come in?"  I ask him awkwardly.

    He rolls his eyes at me when he steps into the mansion. "Of course I want to come in. Like I'm just going to wait out here like a fool."

    This boy has an attitude.

    I can see why he's related to Blaire.

    "You want some milk?" I ask. "Want to watch some television?"