Chapter One

"So, Mrs B, you thought any more about my offer of dinner tonight?"

Yes. Truth be told, it was all she had thought about ever since he asked. It was all she had thought about when she was curled up in front of the television, crying over how she always pushed away those she loved. And for what, exactly? Her reputation. It had taken her years to get to where she was now, and her cold attitude had given her that respect she required as clinical lead. But when she took the job from Zoe, she never expected it to have such a detrimental effect on her home life too. Firstly, she'd lost Grace. Now she was pushing away Jacob - the only man that had ever made her head truly spin since her last husband. She briefly thought back to Alex, who she'd met in Romania with Charlie, but she couldn't compare her feelings for Jacob with those for Alex; she had gone to Alex when she was feeling emotional and sought solace. She liked Jacob because... because he was Jacob. That flirty, confident attitude he had when he first swaggered in had caught her eye then, and it still caught her eye now.

"I thought you said you didn't ask twice." She replied, her voice merely a whisper.

"Well, you're a special case, Mrs B. And I figured that you dancing around me for the last few weeks wasn't just your way of making a new nurse feel welcome." They were stood by reception - usually the busiest place in the hospital - sorting through a couple of patient documents. Well, Connie was sorting documents. Jacob just seemed to be leaning next to her in a very nonchalant way. They both looked around each time someone walked past, but they were working the late night shift, and it was considerably quieter than usual.

When she replied, she spoke softly; "Staff nurse Masters, what exactly are you trying to tell me?"

He leant in towards her, and their eyes accidentally locked. Unable to break his gaze, Connie watched as he leant down across the counter, moving a fraction closer to her every second. He stopped directly opposite her, their eyes just inches apart, and she swore that he would be able to see all the hidden feelings that she kept locked inside her, just by losing himself in her eyes. After what seemed like hours, yet all too soon, he straighten himself up, moving away from her once more. He picked up some random files from a patient in cubicle six, and stepped backwards. Connie was utterly confused. That feeling of lust that had washed over her in those few seconds was burning deep inside her, but she needed to stand her ground.

"I guess I'm trying to say you have feelings for me, but don't worry, all the women 'round here do." With that, he walked backwards, shot her a flirtatious wink, and disappeared around the corner. Connie was left stood in a trance, watching the space from where he had just disappeared, with a small smile creeping across her face. She bit her lip, rolled her eyes in a little frustration, and turned to get back to her files.