Chapter Four (VOID)

I sleepily yawn and continue driving. I was almost back in Woodbury. Just five more minutes until a got into the city and another 10 to get home, but maybe I could stop by the cafe again before I go home...

I sigh faintly and make a turn into County Road Drive and then make another turn into the parking lot of the small cafe. It's pretty much empty. 

I get out of the car and shiver. It's cold and I have never really been a fan of the cold, but Minnesota is home. There's was a light snow covering the ground like a blanket as I walked towards the door of the cafe and entered; I was engulfed in it's warmth and the rich aroma of coffee.

I sit at the bar of the coffee shop and see Daniel's smiling face approach. I smile back faintly and wave.

"Hello friend," He greets with a widening smile. "How's it going?"

"It's been okay," I reply keeping the ghost of a smile on my lips. "Kids keeping me busy and grading lots of school papers."

"Oh? What subject?"

"I used to teach history-- yes I am a nerd--, but now I teach Korean. I learned a few years before I got the twins and once we moved to Woodbury, I decided to start teaching Korean at the high school."

"Teaching history isn't nerdy. Being obsessed with Star Wars and Harry Potter is nerdy. Also having huge glasses, but nerdy is pretty hot," He chuckles, sitting down next to me.

My cheeks tint a light pink and I continue on. We joke and laugh about some of our fun moments at work. It was simple fun engaging conversation. It feels different and I feels like I had a good friend to talk to.

"A few days ago," Daniel begins, chuckling, "A teen girl orders a regular coffee which I gladly prepare, but once it's done, she gives me a sour look, asking if it was made with," He paused and coughed, continuing with a high voice, " 'Organic, cruelty free milk from cows and Cuban coffee beans' to which I reply, 'No miss. It's made with skim milk and Arabica coffee beans with some sugar cane sugar and vanilla flavoring. As you ordered'"

"Oh wow," I roll my eyes, "She sounds like a brat."

His smile widens, "She then throws the coffee onto the ground which honestly had me so angry because that kind of behavior is simply inexcusable, but as she walked out-" He chuckles, "she slips on the coffee!"

"Karma's a serious bitch." I smile while taking a sip of my warm sweet coffee.

"Thankfully I had mopped the floor 15 minutes before and had the wet floor sign out. She planned to sue me! Can you believe that, Caleb?! Women are so crazy," He grumbles the last bit and gives a bit of side eye. It was sassy and cute which made it all the more funnier.

"That's why all the good looking men go gay. We can't handle that much crazy."

"You don't think your little girl will go crazy right?" 

"No she won't she really smart, but who know she might prove me wrong," I chuckle, stretching and yawning.

Daniel glances down at his glass of tea. He had a faint smile on his pink lips. He yawns and glances at the time, "Oh... It seems we've been having so much fun, it's gotten late..." I could hear what sounded like mild disappointment.

I look down and my watch, murmuring, "Wow 10 PM. So it has," I smile and extend my hand out, "You were the highlight of my night, thank you for the coffee. Delicious."

He shakes my hand while smiling his secretive smile, "I was glad to have you here. Come by anytime with your beautiful twins."

"I will." I get up and start heading out the door, but before I leave I look back at him. A little jolt of joy shot up my spine, making my cheeks color. "Later Daniel."