Chapter 2

The world stopped at that moment. I stood there for What felt like forever. I was just trying to soak it all in. Are they really dead, or is he just bullshitting me? I fell to my knees almost instantaneously. But how? How in earth did they die?!

"C-can you just t-tell me how th-they they died?" I somehow managed to spit out, rushing over the last word quickly.

"Your father was driving and your mom was in the passenger seat and they pulled out into a 18 wheelers path. They died at the scene. Im sorry Ms. Carmikel" the officer said sternly.

The thought that my parents are dead hasn't even gotten to me. It's gotta to be fake. I HAVE to be dreaming. They can't be dead. They just can't.

"W-where am I going to stay?" I choked out remembering I'm an only child.

"You're going to be living with your grandmother on your dads side from now on, she has full legal custody of you."

"Thanks, I'm just going to go to my friend Taegan's house right now. Thanks again" I muttered through tears.

During this whole conversation I had with the officer, Taegan was texting her older sister to come pick us up. As soon as the officer left Helen, Taegan's sister, pulled up beside of us in her silver car. She enveloped me in a huge hug and I bawled. It finally hit me that they were gone. Nothing I could do about it.

We sat in the car and Helen drive past their house to my house. I grabbed a kroger bag lying on the counter and a change of clothes, pajamas, and other necessities for a 'sleepover'. I shut my door and walked past my parents bedroom. I couldn't help but just stand in the doorway and remember all the memories. I laid on their bed, the side where my mother slept, and cried. And cried. And cried for what felt like eternity, but was only 5 min. Helen and Taegan walked in and Taegan scooped me up in her arms and carried me to the car. They took me to my grandmothers, who only lived one street over from us.

"Lil, you can come over whenever, we're just a street over, ill come pick you up if needed. You'll still go to the same school and you'll have a great summer.

Great summer? The only thing I looked forward to this summer was....

"what about warped? Mom took me to warped every year." I whispered looking down. My voice filled with pain and disappointment.

"Don't worry I'll take you to that too" Helen mentioned

We pulled up into my grandmothers driveway and Taegan looked over at me.

"Darling, you'll be okay." Taegan sang melodically and winked at me causing me to smile.

She knew me so well.