Shadow: What am I?

I know the answer from the look on Gerald's face. I feel sick, and my head is reeling.

I'm a monster.

All of these people fear me, and not some raving, primal hunchback. To think I wondered if they needed protection from it-from me. I feel empty and hollow inside, and seeing Gerald open his mouth, then close it, not knowing what to say only makes me feel worse. Well, so what? Why should I care what a human says? It's good that they fear me--they should. I'm not convincing myself very well, am I? I think sarcastically.

"It can TALK?!"

"Incredible!"

"Holy shoot!"

"Savior of hell..."

"*squeak*"

"On my!" Exclamations fill the air as the various people start comprehending what exactly happened. This is not helping my overall self-esteem. Like I ever had any...

"So, you ARE as intelligent as I had hoped you would be." Gerald comments, looking me in the eyes.

"Nah. I'm just imitating the actions of people around me, as befits a lesser being." I respond in a very mocking tone, I mean, come on, if that wasn't a stupid comment, then what is? Obviously, I am EXTRAORDINARILY intelligent, far beyond ANY expectations.

"B-But... How could...?" Gerald stammers, "Ah. Of course. You are using sarcasm. I did not expect that language and tone variations were within your capabilities."

"Oh, I am? I didn't notice--how very simplistic of me," I growl in response--I'm not about to let anyone set MY limits. Gerald looks quite shocked, but then recovers and assumes a pleased expression. My eyes narrow, and I scowl. "What's so funny about me being sentient? Why are you smiling?!" I ask angrily, and Gerald's grin increases in size.

"Haha! I love it. To think, less than 2 hours old, and my greatest creation is already assuming an identity!" Gerald laughs gleefully. He stops laughing and tilts his head down to me. "You, Shadow, for that is your name, are my greatest creation, the height of my achievements! I have labored over your design, genetics and powers for over a decade, and I am ecstatic to see you turned out so well! My original purpose for you has changed, but not the brilliance of your existence; you are as perfect as the day you were conceived." I stare at him blankly, and I feel stunned. I'm a creation of Gerald's? How is that even possible? What is--was--his purpose for creating me?

Gerald turns to the crowd of scientists in the room. Throwing up his arms, he announces in a booming voice his victory. "Ladies, gentlemen, and gathered colleagues, I am pleased beyond measure to introduce you all to the completed version of the Ultimate Being, the final product of Project Shadow, Shadow the Hedgehog, the Ultimate Life Form. What lies before you is the most powerful weapon in the universe, the awaiting cure of all diseases, the immortal sentinel of Earth. To achieve this feat I have combined the DNA of the most powerful Chaos-fueled species; Hedgehogs, and Black Arms. I have gambled the 7 Chaos Emeralds to Black Doom, the leader of the Black Arms to collect his blood, but he is foolish, for when they return to seek their prize, Shadow will be powerful enough to drive them back to their forsaken comet." I can't believe what I'm hearing; could I REALLY be the Ultimate Life Form? "Gerald continues his speech, "From Shadow I will obtain the cure to NIDS, the Neuro-Immune Deficiency Syndrome my granddaughter Maria is cursed with. I will save her, as well as any others doomed to a long and agonizing fate. With Shadow, I will save the world!"