Chapter four

(Louis's POV)

It took many excruciating hours but eventually I picked out furniture for the new apartment and still managed to stay on my budget. The salesman tells me that he'll have everything delivered within the next few days. So, until then, I guess I'll be sleeping on blankets on the cold floor. Not that I'm complaining. I'm just happy to have a place of my own.

After signing some papers and such, I start driving back home in my rusty pickup truck that I got for Christmas last year. When I get back home, something startles me. There's a large cardboard box in front of my door. I don't remember ordering anything offline . . .?

Shrugging slightly, I pick up the box and hold it under my arm so I can unlock the door. When I step inside and place the box on the counter, it wiggles. Yes, that's right, it fucking wiggles. It skids across the counter a bit so I have to grab it to stop it from falling.

Curiosity takes over me and I rip open the box, peeling back the tape. When I pull back the flaps of the box, I'm startled by what I see inside. Is that a . . . a kitten?

A small ball of brown fur is curled up in the corner of the box. I immediately gasp and step back. What kind of a sick, evil person would leave a poor, defenseless kitten in front of a random person's door? I'm not much of a cat person but I have to admit I would never do that.

I scoop up the kitten delicately in my hand and aww at the fact that it can fit into my hands. It must only be a few weeks old, I assume. Her eyes (at least, I think it's a girl but I'm bot exactly a cat expert) are a bright shade of green and they immediately remind me of Harry. I decide to name her Brownie. I'd like to name her something unique but at the moment my brain is just not functioning.

I set Brownie down on the ground carefully and start combing my fingers through her damp, brown fur. She has patches over her skin where some hair has fallen out. Other than that, she looks healthy.

I bet Harry will absolutely love her. I decide to give him a call.

I put Brownie down on the pile of blankets in the living room and grab my phone. I dial Harry's number and he picks up in a few seconds.

"Hey," he breathes.

"Hi darling. How are you?" I ask. I plop down on the ground with my phone pressed against my ear and place Brownie on my lap.

"I- I'm alright, I guess. Just a bit tired. How are you?" he asks.

"Fine. How was dinner with your parents?" I wonder.

He pauses before speaking, "It was-- it was great." he says.

I smile weakly, "That's good then. Anyway, I was wondering if you wanted to come over? I have a surprise for you." I say in a sing-song voice.

I hear Harry sigh, "I can't come over babe. 'M sorry. I'm not feeling very well." he says.

I frown a bit, "Oh, that's alright. We can see each other another time, yeah? Feel better." I encourage.

"I'll try. Bye."

"Bye Haz. Love yo-"

I'm cut off by him hanging up. Ouch, that hurt. I feel a rustle in my lap and look down to see Brownie curled up and sleeping. I pet her back and scratch behind her little kitten ears.

"At least I still have you, right?" I hum.

* * *

The next day, Harry says that he's "sick" even though he sounds like he's perfectly healthy. Over our phone conversation he coughs a few times but it's obvious to me that they were fake. I don't know why he's ignoring me but it's starting to piss me off.

Have I been to coupley around him? Does he just need space? I probably just need to give him some space.

I think I'll go to the store today because I need to pick up some cat food as well as human food for myself. I put Brownie in my bedroom to make sure she doesn't climb in the fireplace or something whilst I'm gone.

A few hours later I return with stuffed grocery bags filled up to the rim. I try to put my key in the lock but end up dropping them. Groaning, I bend down and try to pick them up, only to have the bags of groceries fall over onto the ground. Great.

I'm about to just start crying because I'm an emotional wreck right now. My boyfriend has been ignoring me and nothing has been going right since I last saw him. And now my keys are on the ground and my bags are toppled over . . . I want to curl up in a ball and die.

Maybe that's a bit too dramatic but my feelings are all over the place.

Suddenly, the neighbors door clicks open and out struts a young-looking girl with black hair. This is completely embarrassing. I'm a grown man on the ground and my grocery bags have spilled over in the hallway with tears in my eyes.

The girl frowns, "Do you need help? I heard a commotion so . . . " she trails off. Her hair is sleek and dark with streaks of red in it. She has tattoos covering her pale skin, coating her entire body.

I sniffle, "Thanks."

She nods and helps me off the ground, then assists me with putting my groceries back into the bag. She stops when she sees the can of cat food. She pauses and looks up at me.

"You have a cat?"

"Mhm. Why?"

"There's a no pets policy in this apartment complex. Didn't you know?" she asks.

"Oh shit . . . no, I didn't know that-"

"It's alright, I won't tell. Just don't let anybody else find out." she winks. I stifle a laugh and she follows me back into my apartment. She puts the bags on the counter and I thank her.

"It was no problem," she says, wiping her hands on her skinny jeans. She glances around, "It's pretty empty in here. Did you just move in?"

"Yeah, I did. A few days ago, actually. I'm Louis, by the way." I grin, shaking her hand.

"I'm Esther."

"It's nice to meet you."

"Likewise." she says. She runs her fingers through her hair, "I should leave. I have a mountain of uni homework that I should be starting."

"Okay, well have a nice evening."

"You too." she says on her way out. She closes the door behind her. Well, at least someone is being nice to me for once.

I start unloading the groceries. When I pull out the can of cat food, it reminds me that Brownie is still in my room. I walk over and let her out, then place the food on the ground where she starts eating it. Her tongue laps up the food and she chews on the slimy soft mush. She must be enjoying it.

I check my phone. No texts from Harry. I sent him one a few hours ago and he read it but didn't reply. What's gotten into him? Why isn't he acting like my loving, adorable boyfriend?

Later that night, I stumble over to the pile of blankets in the living room and try to fall asleep. These hard wood floors aren't exactly the comfiest things to sleep on. I roll over and readjust my position a few times. I can't fall asleep. I miss having a warm, loving boyfriend to cuddle with.

Until then, Brownie will have to do.

(Harry's POV)

I've finally done it. I've gained the courage to go tell Louis about the kiss. I know it's not my fault but I still feel like he'll be mad or jealous or something. I don't want things to change between us . . .

I text Louis in the morning after avoiding him for two days. I hope he's not mad.

When he doesn't reply, I decide to take matters into my own hands and go over to his apartment without telling him. To my luck, the door is unlocked when I get there.

I open up the door slowly, and there he is, lying on the ground. He's curled up on blankets, a crumpled pile of limbs. I instantly smile. He's lying on his side with his back to the fireplace. He's clutching the blanket under his chin.

I lie down next to him and wrap my arms around his waist. He shifts a bit but stays asleep. I brush my nose against his and yep, that gets him to wake up.

He slowly flutters open his eyes. When he properly gets a good look at me, he raises an eyebrow. "Harry?" he squeaks.

I peck his nose, "Surprise!"

He groans, "What the Hell-- what are you doing here?" he asks. His voice sounds angry. Why is he angry? He should be happy to see me.

I frown, "It's nice to see you too, Lou." I say sarcastically.

He rolls his eyes, "Well that's what you get for ignoring me for two days." he grumbles.

I sigh when he gets up and walks away. I follow behind him. "I told you, I was sick." I explain.

He pops some bread into his toaster on the counter and hums in response. He sounds unconvinced. Okay, so maybe I wasn't exactly sick but I truthfully wasn't feeling well. I didn't want to talk to Louis knowing that I kissed someone else. Now, I'm ready to tell him but he's making it awfully difficult.

"Louis," I say, resting my head on his shoulder. He dial of the toaster up a bit.

"I have to tell you something but you have to promise not to get mad . . ." I say cautiously.

He turns around to face me and crosses his arms over his chest, "I have something to tell you, too."

"You do?"

"Mhm,"

"You first," I tell him.

He nods and tells me to follow him. He walks around the house, whispering Brownie and I wonder if he's lost his mind.

"Louis, what are you--"

"Here she is!" he exclaims. He kneels down next to the bar stool and pulls up a ball of fur. It takes me a second to realise that that ball of fur is actually alive and that it's a kitten. Oh my god.

I squeal, "A kitten?!"

Louis smiles, "Yeah! Someone left her on my doorstep." he says.

I take the kitten from his hands and hold it in my own. This has got to be the cutest kitten I've ever seen in my life.

"Aw! You're keeping her, then?" I ask.

"Yeah, she helps me cope with the loneliness when you're gone." he says, a hint of sadness brushing over his face.

I don't know how to reply to that. I simply look down at the ground and clear my throat.

His feminine-like fingers reach under my chin and pull my face up to meet his, "I missed you."

"I missed you, too."

He smiles softly, "Good." he says. "Do you want Brownie to be our kitten?" he adds.

My eyes widen, "Of course! Is that even a question? Yes!" I say. I hold Brownie up and peck her cute, little pink nose.

"I'm glad you like her," Louis laughs.

"She's so cute! Oh, and I could take her to the vet, and buy her treats and food--"

"Don't get too excited, Haz." Louis laughs.

I smile smugly, "Sorry."

He chuckles, "Now . . . what did you want to tell me?"

I freeze, looking down at Brownie, then back up to meet Louis's blue depths. Everything is perfect right now. Do I really want to risk messing it up by telling him about Drew? The answer is no, I don't.

" 's not important," I smile, scratching Brownie's head. She purrs and snuggles into my chest.

What Louis doesn't know won't hurt him.

[ Dedication goes to gentry_13. Her comment was really sweet and it made me smile. xx ]