CHAPTER #22

All growth is a leap in the dark, a spontaneous unpremeditated act without benefit of experience.-  Henry Miller

CHAPTER # 22

Scott and Shelby knew that having a relationship in a place like Horizon, other people were always around. Their friends helped them find alone time often enough, by providing interference so the counsellors didn't know they were missing.  They leaned on each other often, but both were healing since their inner demons had been released.  Scott was becoming more of a team leader, excelling at sports and even had his grades up.  His optimism spread over the Cliff Hangers, but mostly he brought out a softer side of Shelby.  For her, being there for her little sister, somehow helped her too.  When she and Scott had protected Chris from her father, it made her want to help others more. Shelby began to wonder if maybe that's what she would do as a profession.

Like most high schools they had a career day, where various professionals from the community would talk and share information about their jobs.  Most of the seminars were done via video conference calls or computer face time.  The few locals that were allowed to come to Horizon to speak, everyone knew already. It was a bit of a reunion for the Cliff Hangers, because Katherine returned to encourage them to reach for the sky.  Hank the forest ranger came to talk to the kids interested in working outdoors.  He gave them information about getting into the ministry of natural resources, needing a bachelor's degree in forestry and other related fields.  Annie talked about owning a restaurant and being in the food industry.  All the kids liked her seminar, because she brought food samples for everyone. Sheriff Curtis also briefly spoke about law enforcement and keeping the peace.

"You should become a cop or lawyer Shelby," Auggie suggested after the Sheriff's speech.

Scott thought about that, "he's right. You're fierce when you want to protect someone."

Shelby smiled, "putting away bad guys.... sure I could do that."

Juliette smirked, "she'd just like playing with the handcuffs."

"I wouldn't mind that," Scott said.

"Maybe she shouldn't be given a gun," Ezra added.

"Scared I'd shoot you Freakin?" Shelby teased.

He nodded, "me and anyone else you got mad at."

They saw Peter coming and broke up their little chat.  When they dispersed on their own, to continue participating in career day, Peter grinned.  They were getting to know him pretty well.  Even though no one from the Cliff Hangers would be graduating that year, the progress they were making meant that one or two of them might graduate the next year.  This made him both very happy and a little sad.  These kids, more so than the rest, were very close to his heart. But just like your own children, eventually you have to let go and let them spread their wings. Leaving the safety of Horizon to deal with the world, was like a leap in the dark.  Trusting that the foundations he'd created, would help them make the right choices.  That was why they had career days, to give the kids something to work towards and hold on to outside of Mt. Horizon.

During lunch the group chatted about if they'd go to college or university once they left Horizon. When Sophie walked by, she noticed that Chris wasn't joining in on the discussion.  Trying not to be too obvious, she eavesdropped.

"I'm going to whatever school gives me the best football scholarship.  But if I get injured or something, I don't know what to have as a back up."

"Come on Scott, we all know you would be a coach, maybe even for some high school team," Auggie said.

Scott shrugged, "maybe."

Juliette added, "you're a born leader Scott. Whenever we're on hikes you take charge, especially if we're having trouble."  Then she did some self reflection, "I like the idea of being a planner for events or weddings. I've been to enough of them anyway."

Ezra grinned, "with that kind of logic maybe I'll be a pharmacist, but the legal kind."

Daisy shook her head, "no way Ezra, you'd go out of business from using your own product.  You're smart though and good at chemistry.  Maybe you'll be a doctor or something like that."

"Doctors make good money, but have to go to school way too long." Ezra shrugged. He was younger than the others, so he wouldn't be graduating next year anyway.

"Still want to be a mortician Daisy?" Shelby asked her friend.

"Maybe. You've got to admit I'm great with make-up."

Chris finally spoke, "she'd be a great movie make-up artist, specializing in Horror movies."

Daisy looked at Chris.  "Hey I like that idea.  I wonder what I'd have to do to get into that."

It seemed that only Sophie noticed that Chris didn't say what she wanted to be.  She did however answer Daisy, "there's a lot of options, like going to school for cosmetology. Some people also take art classes to learn colour theory, painting and blending. I have a friend who started out just doing make-up for weddings, photography, makeovers and such, before she landed a contract for TV."

Daisy got thoughtful, "I never even thought of all that."

Juliette grinned, "we could work together. As a wedding planner I could hire you on behalf of the brides."

Scott laughed, "and the brides would look like they were marrying death."

"Be nice," Daisy pretended to pout.

Sophie left the group alone and went to join Peter.  He looked happy.  "Not too long ago, these kids didn't even consider having a future or even wanting one. Now look at them, they're making plans, setting goals.  I'm so proud of them."

Sophie hugged him and kissed his cheek, "I'm proud of you.  None of us could have done it without you.  We grew together."

Peter looked at Chris and Ezra, "some of them still have a long way to go."