CHAPTER #8

A good friend is a connection to life, a tie to the past, a road to the future, the key to sanity in a totally insane world.-  Lois Wyse

CHAPTER #8

Peter called Chris into his office, it was her two month progress report. She was doing a lot better than when she had arrived.  This meant she got a visit from the outside world. He was disappointed that once again the sister had an excuse as to why she couldn't attend.

"Chris is there anyone else who you'd like to get a visit from?"

"My friend Mike.  He's more like family to me than anyone else anyway."  Chris gave Peter his contact information.  "Did my sister say why she couldn't come?"

"The same reason as last time, no one to take care of her horses while she comes here."

"Oh," Chris said.  "She has a hobby farm. Maybe the pregnant mare she has is about to foal or something."

Peter could tell she was hurt and trying to justify her sister's absence.  "I'll let you know if I get in touch with your friend Mike.  I'd like to meet him. He sounds like a great friend."

"At one time he was my only connection to life," her voice caught. She fought tears and didn't give in to the feeling of hopelessness. Then she smiled, "he is judgemental and always pushes me to do better.  He's a health nut too."

"Sometimes we need someone truthful in our corner." And then he added, "can you send Juliette to my office if you see her?"

"Sure. And thanks Peter."  She left and rejoined the others doing their homework.

"What was that all about?" Shelby asked.

"My two month progress report.  Turns out my sister won't be coming, but Peter's making an exception and will see if my best friend can make it.  I doubt it, since the notice is really late."

"Usually when family visits, it's more stressful than when they don't," Scott contributed.

"I guess you're right. Oh and before I forget, Peter wants to see you Jules."

Juliette nodded and left the table. Auggie went with her, for support.

"Come in," Peter said as she knocked on his door.  "Have a seat Juliette."

"What's wrong?"

"I'm sorry to tell you that your mother has passed away.  This weekend is her funeral.  Hal will pick you up to attend it."

Juliette thought she would cry, when she got this news, but she had no tears.  "I'm sad, but in a way I'm not. Does it make me a terrible person to say that I'm relieved?"

"It doesn't make you a bad person, it is understandable. Would you like to talk about it?"

"No, I'm okay.  Thanks for letting me know," Juliette replied.  "Can I go now?" She waited for his nod and then left, closing his door behind her.

"So what's up Twig?"  Auggie teased affectionately.

"Mom's dead, funeral is Saturday."

Auggie hugged her, "awe Jules..."

"It's okay. I'm sad, but it's not such a bad thing. Maybe now I can finally get on with my life. I'm also glad that it's Hal who is my dad, instead of one of the other stepfathers."

They rejoined the others and Juliette told them about the funeral.  Everyone offered their support, especially Daisy.  She too had lost her mother, although the circumstances were completely different.