Chapter 13

Louis' POV

I was awake, but it didn't feel that way. The world was hazy, it was moving. I felt the turn of the earth, the force of gravity weighing down on me.

Did you know that the part of Earth we live in, the troposphere, has us under thousands, maybe millions, pounds of pressure? It's a miracle we've evolved to withstand such pressure. But as of right now, I feel it all.

I forced my eyes down and strained them to focus until I could see clearly. Smoke was still emanating from my chest from that fucking laser beam. I then realized the immense amount of pain surging through my lower back. I'd landed on the sharp edge of a rock, it was like a dagger in my back.

I groaned, my vision was finally going back to normal. "Liam," I croaked out. No response. "Liam?" I called a bit louder, my voice was too hoarse to be much louder. It took me a couple tries, but I finally managed to stagger onto my feet. He wasn't there, he just.. wasn't there. I didn't know how I knew, but Liam was gone.

I kept trying, but I couldn't find him, there were no replies to my pleas.
And after a while, my body couldn't handle it, I collapsed with a groan and a small, pathetic cry. I was bleeding out, not enough to kill me quickly, but who knows how long my back had been cut open for? Either way, this death would be slow, and I'd probably be conscious as hell grabbed onto my ankles.

Like humans, vampires have blood. Our blood is just different. It's more like venom, really. But that venom is encrypted with our DNA; when we bite someone, that DNA is pumped into their system. It works as a genetic switch, our DNA latches onto theirs and genetically modifies their bodies. That's why vampires have classes: if bitten by a higher class, you receive their DNA and have better traits, making you higher class. If someone like me turned a human, they'd be low class like myself, my DNA isn't known as "high quality."

So yes, our blood is different, but vampires need it just as much as humans or any other creature to survive. Without our blood, our bodies lose circulation. Paralysis settles in first, then either starvation or blood clots will kill you -whichever one attacks you first.

Maybe that's why I couldn't move my arms anymore, that's what I convinced myself, anyway. The real reason was because I'd lost will. Liam was gone, the others were probably dead by now. The only family I had... all gone.

"So this is it, huh? The inevitable end, the one even immortals can't escape." My voice was trembling to the beat of my slight convulsions. "Damn. I thought I'd have at least another one or two centuries ahead of me. Well, we had a good run, didn't we boys? Didn't we Har-"

Hole. Hole in side of me. Niall. Niall won't stop screaming. Please stop screaming. I think he's seizing. Zayn. Zayn you can't defeat him on your own. Take Niall and run- Run you idiot!
I can't move. I can't fucking move. This is our fault. No, it's mine. There were too many of them, too much blood. I couldn't control myself. Louis tried to stop me, he was trying to help me. He hadn't even drank in a week, and I was the one who lost control.

"I don't blame you, Harry..."

"You never do."
I tried flipping onto my stomach, maybe then I could contain some blood within me. If I could flip over, I'd be in a position to gain enough energy to fight with Zayn, just use my powers from that position. But it wouldn't be enough anyway.

By the time I realized what was happening, my body was beginning to stir again. The boys were alive, they needed help.

When I first met Harry, there was something about him. I'd never been a fan of the Styles' Dynasty, probably because I was bitter over the class system, they hadn't started it, I just hoped they'd someday get rid of it (social-wise, of course).

But Harry... He was something else. I found myself entranced with him in mere seconds, an affect he had about him apparently, given Niall's newly found love for him. When our eyes connected for the first time, something in us had as well. I don't believe vampires have souls, but that's the only word I can think of to describe what it felt like.

That was how I discovered this power: imprinting. Doesn't sound like much, probably isn't considering the only person I've mastered it on is Harry -accidentally, might I add. Basically, I locked him in a thin, invisible bond around his wrist that only I can see. The matching one is around my wrist as well. I don't know how to control this power, most people my class don't get powers and if they do, it's pretty useless. Imprinting was useless, except for right now.

It's why I could hear Harry, see through his eyes, read his thoughts. He wasn't even aware of it until I spoke into my bond.

"We're done, you and Liam escape while you can."

"I'd never leave you."

"Lou, I feel your body as much as you feel mine. You can't fight, you can't save us. Go... And, promise you'll forgive me. Goodbye, Louis.

My eyes widened, the bond on my wrist was dissolving. What? Did... did Harry have the ability to take it off this entire time, but never did? That didn't make sense, we've known each other for half a century. He'd nag me to get out of his head all the time when I'd sing annoying tunes to him. He could've broken the bond this whole time? And he hadn't until now.

I trued sending signals, I tried receiving signals. Nothing.
It didn't matter, because I knew the others were alive now. Barely, but still hanging on. That was enough to give me the will again, give me the drive to rise to my feet. I would not succumb to death, not until I'd done everything in my power to get Zayn, Niall, and Harry out of there. Even if it meant using my last breath. I'd do it.

I ripped my shirt up easily, that was how much I wanted this. I shoved pieces of it inside my back, then tied the remained around my torso to keep it all in place, like a huge Ace Bandage.

Within minutes, I was feeling better. Maybe it was all the adrenaline. And so I flew and climbed and crawled and hung and repeated until I was at the level of the cave. But the opening was gone, it'd been covered with rocks, probably by an explosion Paul triggered. I'd have to find another way in.

Zayn's POV

The look on Paul's face was of amusement, but the look in his eyes were those of terror.

This would be my first time in three hundred years revisiting my true form.
Vampires didn't start out so pretty. Becoming humanistic was an evolved trait, part of battle of the visit. When we look like mortals, the mortals don't target us because as far as they know, we're one of them.

That's nit the way it always used to be. Vampires were once creatures that looked as demonic and terrifying on the exterior as they are on the interior: black wings the span of two grown men, tentacle-like forms acting as whips around our bodies, extending from the small of our backs that were long enough to wrap around a couch, and finally, the teeth and eyes of a snake, not to mention the small amount of scales that poked out every so often.

This, was our true form.

In this form, our power is almost quadrupled -human forms can't contain as much energy.

The catch is, you can't simply turn whenever you feel like it. No, it takes all your emotion, it takes every cell in your being to feel so strongly about something to do this.

And that's why, deep down, Paul was scared. He didn't plan for any of this to happen, of course, so naturally he'd be worried.

Someone was going to lose this battle.

And only the victor would come out alive.